Fake marriage

Two years later. I sit in awkward silence, shifting my gaze between my bored sister, my revolted father, and my tense mother.

- When did he say he'd be here? We've already been waiting for fifteen minutes. Dad spoke.

- Six sharp. And he's the CEO of Presley – Hirst, you can't expect him to be at your beck and call. My sister said.

- And I can't stay for long. We're starting to record Sadie's third album tomorrow, and I have to clock in bright early.

- Why are we talking about the would – be artist you write songs for?

I clench my jaw in frustration.

- Sadie is my best friend and a rockstar! Not to mention the holder of two platinum records. Every single one of her concerts sells out in a matter of hours.

- I never heard that before.

- That's because you never come out of your corporate bubble, Father. My sister said.

- We're very proud of the songs you write for Sadie and the other artists at the label, Ella.

- Speak for yourself, Eleanor.

- Hello, everyone. I'm sorry I'm late.

Two years later Elijah's voice still throws me off every single time.

- Elijah! We were beginning to think you wouldn't show.

- You know I could never turn down your wife's special lamb recipe, Richard.

- Don't you mean the chef's? you've already buttered Mother up enough to last you a month.

- Victoria!

- Is that any way to greet your husband, Victoria?

- It's all in a good spirit, Richard.

- Yes, father. It's how we keep the romance alive.

She rolled her eyes. This is going to be more entertaining than usual.

- Hi, darling.

- Hello, love.

They're still bad at faking love, this is still hard to watch. They do say fake it till you make it, and I'm sure one day they'll develop real feelings for each other. And even if they don't, he is still the guy who got away, and I'm the wrong sister. My bitter smile disappears when Elijah sits down across from me. I avert my gaze and avoid eye contact at all costs, even when I feel his intense eyes on me.

- Don't you think you're taking this marriage of convenience notion too far? Isn't it about time you turned this into a real marriage?

- What do you mean, dear?

- It's been two years since the wedding, and they still haven't produced an heir yet.

I choke on a roasted potato, and my mother slaps me on the back numerous times.

- This isn't something up for discussion at a family dinner, Father.

Could the ground open up and swallow me now, please?

- As the head of the family, I decide what is and isn't on the agenda. And don't tell me you've suddenly turned into a prude.

Victoria lets out an annoyed huff, while Elijah seems very focused on cutting his lamb into minuscule pieces.

- Dear, perhaps this isn't the time to...

- Have you not consummated your marriage yet?