Father's will

I glance around, taking in the many foreign faces that watch me with compassion and sympathy. The church is packed with people who've come to honor my father's life and legacy. I can't believe my last conversation with him was a fight.

- He's gone. He's really gone.

- I know, Victoria.

I wrap my arms around my sister as her shoulders start shaking. Tears slide down my cheeks and into my lap, soaking my dress.

- Ella.

Elijah looks like he wants to reach around Victoria to touch me, but I shake my head. He gazes down, looking defeated. My mother takes the podium to deliver the eulogy.

- Richard was a great man, an incredible father, a husband who – who...he was always....

I watch in horror as my mother breaks down in front of everyone. She starts shaking with tears.

- Victoria! What should we do?

- I don't think I can go up there. I'd start crying the second I faced everyone. Can you do it, sissy? Please, can you say a few words and help mother?

I glance at my mother, who's pale as a sheet while stuttering through her speech. I take the stairs to the dais and place a kiss on my mother's wet cheek.

- I've got this, mother. Go sit next to Victoria.

She nods gratefully and trudges down the stairs, leaving me to face the commiserating crowd.

- My father was a great businessman. I'm sure no one in here doesn't know how much he valued his empire or how successful he was at running it. Richard Presley will be remembered as the man who revolutionized media more quickly and thoroughly than anyone before him.

I suck in another deep breath, and my voice turns softer.

- ... He was also a reliable husband, a protective father, and a valuable friend, and he was respected by everyone around him.

My eyes burn, and my glance falls upon Elijah. He gives me an encouraging nod, and I continue.

- ... He was taken from us far too soon, but I find solace in the fact that he accomplished so much. His legacy will live on, and he'll never be forgotten.

I choke back a sob and climb down the stairs, where my mother awaits with open arms.

- Thank you, darling. You did so well.

I wrap my arms around my mother's waist, and Victoria joins my embrace. Her whispered words warm my heart.

- I'm so proud of you, Ella. Thank you for stepping up.

- You've been my rock for so long, Vicky. It was about time I returned the favor.

I notice Elijah watching me with wary eyes over Victoria's shoulder.

- Are you ok?

- No, I'm not.

I wish I could run in his embrace and let him comfort me, but I can't. I turn my back to him and let the tears fall freely. The rest of the day goes by in a blur of funeral proceedings warm condolences, and unbearable grief.

Later that night, I'm sitting on my couch, staring at a twenty – year – old picture of myself, Victoria, and both my parents. We never were the happy family everyone thought we were, but we had so many good moments. Despite that, the last memory of my father will be that of him hurting me with his words in the worst possible way. It kills me that I still can't forgive him. I can't get over the fact that he sabotaged my happiness. I wish I didn't harbor all this resentment, but I don't know how to make it go away. My chest throbs and my heart pounds painfully. I clutch at my sternum, praying for the ache to disappear. I barely register the doorbell ringing. When I finally bear pounding on my door, I drag my leaden feet to the entrance.