Blackmail

- I can't believe I'm half – naked and my father's about to walk in!

My heart beats like a drum, and I see my panic reflected in Elijah's eyes. Then he blinks once, and his expression is replaced by a calm, composed one.

- Don't worry, I won't let him see you. He's not coming into this office.

He picks up my jacket and holds it up for me. I put it on hastily, then I start searching for a place to hide.

- You can't stop my father from doing whatever he wants.

I keep my voice down, but my desperation is palpable. Elijah places his hands on my shoulders and squeezes softly.

- Do you trust me?

I nod. He reaches the door in two long strides, and I hide out of sight until he shuts the door behind him.

- Richard, what a pleasant surprise!

- Let's go inside, Elijah. I have something important to discuss with you.

- As a matter of fact, I was thinking we could head to a presentation room on the fifth floor. I have a strategic initiative that I'm confident will help us secure new funding and improve our budget management.

- Why not bring it up at our next board meeting?

- I wouldn't dare bring it to our investors and shareholders without running it by you first. Besides, I value your judgment more than anyone else's on that board.

- In that case, let's go see the idea of yours.

I hold my breath for a few more beats until the sound of their footsteps fades out. That was smart, there's nothing my father loves more than being shown how important his opinion is. Elijah knows him well. The next moment I see a text from Elijah:

- I took him to a meeting room and excused myself for a business call. Are you okay?.

- I'm still recovering after seeing Elijah the CEO in action for the first time ever.

- Did it turn you on?

- It did, but I'm still shaking. I can't believe we almost got caught by my father.

- Well that was thrilling. When can we do it again?

- You like living dangerously, Mr. Hirst.

- So do you, don't deny it. I'll see your flushed cheeks and hear your shaky breaths for the rest of the day.

- I won't deny it. But I still need to get out of here.

- You can use my elevator now. I've sent Eve for coffee, so there's no one outside my door. And thank you, angel. You've made my day with that spunky outfit.

I get out of Elijah's office all flustered and manage to hop into the executive elevator without being spotted. Once the doors shut, I come down my high. My heart starts pounding incessantly. It might've been thrilling at the moment, but that was such a close call! What if we got caught?

A few days later, I'm at the studio, impatiently watching Sadie as she reads the lyrics of my latest song.

- Do you like it? Are you going to sing it? Do you think it's fitting for your new album?

- Like it? Are you kidding me? I love it with a passion.

Sadie's eyes sparkle with enthusiasm. My face breaks into a huge grin.