Hope doesn't exist-chapter 20

Tw: death, small mention of abuse

Third person pov

The days went by and Genya started to feel a little better, he was actually resting and studying enough, he was getting enough sleep, he was eating enough, he was happy for once in his life, it felt like drinking cold water on the hottest day of summer.

It was just three days before Christmas, he was hanging out with Tanjiro and Muichiro since they didn't have school, he laughed with them, joked around, he was comfortable with them. He got a call from an unknown number, he picked up, hoping it wasn't scammers.

"Hello?" Genya spoke over the phone as the others stopped talking to hear what he was saying "Hi, is this Genya Shinazugawa?" A woman said with a sad tone "Um...yeah, who is this?" Genya asked again, he just wanted to enjoy his hang out with his friends.

"This is the hospital calling, we are sorry to inform you that your mother passed away last night" Genya was shocked by what he just heard, the others were shocked too since they heard it too, Genya hung up as he started to quietly sob.

Muichiro grabbed his hand and got closer to him, wanting to comfort him in some way "Genya, if you ever need anything you can always talk with us" Tanjiro tried to comfort him, he didn't know what to say, but he wanted Genya to know they were there for him.

Just when he was feeling better everything had to go down like that, it made Genya feel awful, even if his mother was in a coma for three years it was painful, too painful to hide it. He was at least a little glad that his friends were willing to support him and be there for him.

Sanemi called Genya, the boy didn't want to respond, but he forced himself to answer since it might have been important "Genya, did the hospital call you?" Sanemi asked over the phone worried, his voice was shaking, after all they both lost their mothers.

"...yeah"
"Please come home right now, I want to talk with you and our siblings"
"Right now?"
"Yeah, right now"
"But I'm with Tanjiro and Muichiro, I'll come home later"
"Genya, I said no, now please come back home"

Genya hung up and held Muichiro's hand thighly "you have to go now?" Muichiro asked with a worried tone, he seemed to recognize Genya's expression, he had the same expression he had whenever his face was mentioned, a sad expression mixed with disgust.

"Yeah..." Genya said with a whisper, as if he was afraid to talk "do you want us to walk you home?" Tanjiro asked, he had a bad feeling that Genta could try to do something stupid, like getting run by a car on purpose. Genya nodded in response.

The three guys started to walk Genya home in absolute silence, Tanjiro didn't know what to do and Muichiro didn't know what to say. As soon as they arrived at Genya's home the boy hugged them both "thank you for offering me support, but I think I might wanna stay with my siblings for some time"

"That's understandable" Muichiro said as he patted Genya's shoulder as an encouragement, Tanjiro seemed a little confused "what about your father?" He asked, that's when Genya realized he only told Muichiro and not Tanjiro, he could lie and hope Tanjiro would believe it or tell the truth.

"I'll text you later, see you two"

Genya quicky entered his house before the boys could say anything. As Genya entered he saw Sanemi on the couch hugging Teiko crying, Genya rushed to the two, asking what happened "I told her about mom" Sanemi said in a guilty voice as he kept comforting his younger sister.

"Teiko, listen to me" Genya sat down as the girl stopped hugging Sanemi "Mom may not be with us anymore, but the rest of us are, and we will never leave each other alone" he had a soft voice, he was absolutely destroyed by the news, but he had to be strong for his siblings, like he always was.