Chapter Nine: Time For The Games

It was the day. The day of the games. Clove was going to die. Shit. She forced herself out of bed, feeling nauseous as she entered into the kitchen.

"Brutus and Cato left earlier," Enobaria explained, seeing the confused look on her face "I figured you could use a little extra sleep."

"Thanks," Clove said quietly, sitting at the table motionless.

"How are you doing?" Enobaria asked.

"Horrible," Clove said honestly, "My baby's going to die, Enobaria."

"No it's not," Enobaria said soothingly "You're both going to be fine." But Clove could see the fear behind her comfort, and knew she had no chance.

"I really don't want the baby to die, Enobaria," Clove admitted, tears rolling down her cheeks.

"Your baby is not going to die," Enobaria said firmly. "I know this feels so terrifying right now but you and your baby are going to live, do you hear me?" Clove nodded, her bottom lip trembling

"I love him so much Enobaria." Clove said through tears.

"I know honey," Enobaria said, not even bothering to ask who Clove was talking about already knowing the answer.

"I don't want him to die," Clove said, with a gulp "He can't."

"I know honey I know," Enobaria said soothingly "But you're going to be ok I promise."

"I feel like I can't live without him," Clove admitted. "Have you ever felt like that with a guy before?" Enobaria nodded with a smile on her face

"I felt like that with a boy once," She said "My district partner."

"Really?" Clove asked in awe. Enobaria nodded

"I loved him so much, Clove but he died and I lived."

"How did you get over it?" Clove asked.

"I was miserable for a long time but I met someone who helped me heal," Enobaria said, her eyes shining with happiness "And that person I ended up marrying."

"You're mysterious husband," Clove said with an eye roll "Are you ever going to tell me his name?" Enobaria shrugged with a chuckle

"All that matters is that I moved on and I know you don't want to do that but it's what you're going to have to do."

"Did you know he was the one?" Clove asked curiously.

"I hated him at first," Enobaria admitted "He was very hard on me but then I realized he was really just protecting me from the capitol."

"Maybe one day I'll get to be married," Clove said wistfully.

"Maybe," Enobaria said with a smile "But right now you're about to fight for you're life so we don't have time to think about the future."

"Should I tell Cato?" Clove asked "About the baby." Enobaria hesitated before answering, faltering slightly

"If this were any other situation I would tell you no," She said honestly "But you seem to love him so much and I think you'd be devastated if you didn't get to tell him."

"He's going to be so mad," Clove said.

"He is," Enobaria agreed "But I think after the anger passes he's going to be happy."

"Really?" Clove asked and Enobaria nodded.

"He's a sweet kid," Enobaria said "I don't think he even realizes it." Checking the time Enobaria sighed "We better get going." Clove was quiet on the walk over, despite Enobaria's effort to make conversation. "You're going to be ok sweetie I promise," Enobaria said "I'm with you until the end don't forget that ok?" Clove nodded numbly, clutching onto her mentors hand, not caring if she looked like a scared little kid

"I'm scared."

"It would be stupid if you weren't," Enobaria said "But don't give them the satisfaction of crying or showing weakness you're the girl with knives, all you need to do is put on a show."

"Ok," Clove said brokenly "I can put on a show."

"Just remember that it's not you killing them," Enobaria said softly "It's Snow." Clove nodded silently, throwing herself into Enobaria's arms to hug her.

"Thank you," Clove murmured, knowing words could never convey her gratitude for Enobaria "Thank you so much."

"I love you Clove," Enobaria said "I know you can do this."

"I love you too," Clove said, clutching onto her, never wanting to let go.

"You have to go sweetie." Enobaria said, almost reading her mind.

"I don't want to," Clove said, holding back tears "Please don't make me."

"If I could I wouldn't but you have to," Enobaria said "Not just for you're safety but for your baby's." Clove nodded, slowly moving away from Enobaria onto the transport. "Hold your head high," Enobaria shouted "Don't give them the satisfaction of watching you crumble." Clove was led onto the transport being led into a seat, the girl on fire sat beside her. She looked around, Glimmer smiling to herself, probably thinking of clothes, the rest of the tributes looking relatively scared. Clove felt pity overcome her as she saw the girl from eleven trembling, but she thought of Enobaria's words and recentered her mindset. She couldn't pity the other tributes, she was here to win not to make friends. She met Cato's eyes across the aisle, as he leaned forward, staring intently into her eyes.

"How are you?" He mouthed softly.

"I'm ok," She mouthed back "How are you."

"Good," He mouthed "I have a plan." Clove nodded, settling back in her seat with a smile as he mouthed "I miss you." But she didn't have time to enjoy Cato's company for much longer before she was escorted away. Her stylist, whose name she didn't even know, was preparing a jacket for her. Clove slipped it on, smiling to herself as she felt a pack of prenatal vitamins in the pocket, silently thanking Enobaria. She stepped into the tube, fear taking over her. God she was about to fight in the Hunger Games, with a baby inside her, against her lover. And as much as she was terrified she'd never felt so much adrenaline. This was what she'd been training for her entire life and she was going to win this, even if it was without Cato.