Chapter Eight: The Interviews

That evening Clove spent what felt like hours getting prodded with hair pins and hair spray, her stylist spending hours fussing over her. In the end, she was absolutely positive she looked like a cupcake. Her hair was pooped up into some sort of updo and she wore a poofy orange dress that made her feel like a little kid. God, she hated this. Her stylist had yelled at her for itching her dress so she stood in agony, waiting for Enobaria to come get her.

"Wow, that's certainly a dress," Enobaria said with a laugh as she came in, ignoring Clove's glare at her comment.

"I look like a cupcake," Clove muttered angrily, itching at the dress.

"A very beautiful cupcake," Enobaria teased, before she got more serious "Today you have to put on you're game face," Enobaria advised quietly, so no one else could hear "Make them fear you and make sponsors like you alright?" Clove nodded

"I'm not always the most likable person," Clove said, casting her gaze downwards.

"Well I like you just fine," Enobaria said with an eye roll "Besides you're a hundred times more likable than Cato."

"He's sure good at putting on a show," Clove mused "I wouldn't be surprised if the capital loves him."

"I have to go," Enobaria said "But Brutus and I will be backstage the entire time so afterward we can leave together." Clove nodded, nervously bidding her mentor a goodbye, before turning to knock on the door Cato was getting ready in.

"How do you possibly take longer than me?" Clove asked jokily but stopped as she locked eyes with Cato. Sure she'd always be attracted to him but never like this before. He was wearing an almost silver suit, fitting him snugly and making his blue eyes shine. His eyes softened upon seeing her, unable to take his gaze off of her.

"You look beautiful." He murmured, crossing the room in a couple of quick strides, instantly taking her in his arms.

"I look like a cupcake," Clove said back.

"You're the most beautiful girl in the entire world Clover," Cato said softly, before capturing her lips in his, once again making Clove forget all the bad in the world. That they were going to die tomorrow. That this was their last night together. But that didn't matter right now, right now all that mattered was that Clove was in his arms.

"We have to go," Clove reluctantly said in between heated kisses.

"I don't want to," Cato murmured, slowly breaking apart from her. Clove was sure her lipstick was smudged and her hair was ruined but right now she couldn't care less. All that mattered right now was that she was with Cato.

"Five minutes tributes!" A voice rang out over the loudspeaker "Please line up by district." Clove stood behind Glimmer, shivering as she felt Cato's eyes glued to her. As she was escorted out she instantly felt the crowd erupt into cheers. The few minutes with Caesar went by in a blur, but after she left the stage both Brutus and Enobaria gave her a nod of approval.

"Good job," Enobaria whispered quietly. A few minutes later Cato appeared, Brutus and Enobaria both nodding satisfied. "You both did great," Enobaria said honestly "How are you feeling?"

"Fine," Cato said with a shrug, but Clove could see the fear on his face.

"Right," Enobaria said sarcastically, but let it slide.

"Enobaria and I are heading out for the night but you two enjoy yourselves alright," Brutus said, his voice relaxed despite the fact that one of them could die tomorrow.

"Thank you both," Cato said with a genuine smile "I don't know what I would've done without you here."

 "We're here for you until the end," Brutus said, Clove realizing his words aligned with the ones Enobaria had told her earlier. Once they left Cato and Clove were left alone debating on what to do, a feast was being held for all the tributes but that was really the last thing Clove wanted to go to. But she reluctantly sat down beside Glimmer, talking about the most boring things she could ever imagine. Around 15 minutes later she heard a whisper in her ear.

"Let's get out of here," Cato muttered so quiet only she could hear him. She wordlessly nodded, making up an excuse to Glimmer before leaving, following Cato.

"What are you doing?" She asked Cato as soon as they were out of earshot.

"This." He said, capturing her lips in a searing kiss.

"Anyone could see us here Cato!" Clove exclaimed, pulling apart from him.

"I don't care, Clover," He said honestly "I really don't care anymore." Clove sighed, quieting down. "Come on," Cato said softly, grasping her hand and pulling her away.

"Where are we going?" She demanded.

"Be patient," Cato said with a hint of humor in his eyes at her attitude. They made their way to the elevator but instead of going up to two as they usually did Cato hit the top floor button.

"You want to go hang out with the girl on fire?" Clove asked sarcastically "I'm sure she'd love that."

"It's not the twelfth floor," Cato said with an eye roll "Just trust me ok?" Clove nodded silently. The elevator opened, revealing the roof of the building, and the sky setting before them.

"This is beautiful," Clove murmured "God I can practically see two from here."

"You know they are all celebrating now," Cato said with a smile "Celebrating us."

"Even though one of us will die," Clove said, stating the obvious.

"Yes," Cato said bluntly "Even though one of us will die."

"I don't want you to die, Cato," Clove said vulnerably "I can't live without you."

"I don't want you to die Clove," He responded with just as much emotion "But can we just forget tonight?"

"Forget?" Clove questioned.

"Forget the fact that we're going to the Hunger Games tomorrow and just enjoy our last night together?"

"Ok," Clove said softly "Make me forget Cato." Without another word, Cato captured her lips in a kiss, more passionate and meaningful than ever before. He made Clove forget, even if it was just for that night, all the bad, the fact that they were going to the Hunger Games together, the fact that their baby was probably going to die. And for the first time since she'd fallen for Cato she felt something above attraction. She felt loved. And that terrified her more than the Hunger Games itself.