Chapter 3

Santini Qien Escovar

"Thank you," mahinang sambit ni miss stranger matapos ubusin ang tubig na ibinigay ko.

Binigyan ko lang siya ng ngiti at kinuha ang baso mula sa kaniya. I noticed that she was watching my every move, alerto dahil sa tingin ko ay iniisip niyang may gagawin akong hindi maganda sa kaniya. Itinayo ko ang natumbang upuan kanina at inilagay sa tabi ng kama nito.

"How are you, miss...?" I asked, taking a seat on the monoblock chair. I stopped mid-sentence because I forgot that I still haven't asked what her name is. "Uh, what's your name, by the way?"

She looked at me before answering, her eyes blank, "I-I don't know..."

Huh? Hindi niya alam?

My eyes slowly went wide in realization. Does she... Does she have amnesia?

"What do you mean? Did you forget your name?" I carefully asked once again, trying not to trigger her with anything.

Instead of answering, she lowered her head, as if she just remembered something. Sinundan ko naman ng tingin ang kinakapa niyang nakatago sa loob ng puting damit. It was a necklace... Why didn't we notice it before?

"A-Aviana..?" nahihirapang pagbasa niya sa nakaukit na pangalan sa kaniyang kwintas.

"That's your name?"

She looked at me again, but this time her eyes weren't blank anymore. "I don't know..." she whispered, her voice laden with vulnerability. She suddenly let out a sob, causing me to be alarmed.

"Hey, don't cry," I softly whispered, just enough for her to hear.

I wanted to hold her to offer comfort, but I didn't want her to be startled by my actions, so I just stayed seated, feeling concerned. I saw tears beginning to form in her eyes as she tightly clutched the bed sheets.

"I-I don't remember anything," parang batang sumbong niya sa'kin habang ang mga luha niya ay patuloy lang sa pagdaloy, "I don't even know who I am,"

Napansin ko rin ang pamumuti ng mga kamao niya dahil sa sobrang higpit ng pagkakayukom nito. Napakagat ako sa ibabang labi nang magsalubong ang mga mata namin. Hindi ko alam kung bakit ako nasasaktan na nakikita siyang umiiyak.

I gently approached her, leaning closer, "Can I hold you?" I sought permission, meeting her gaze. She didn't utter a word and just slightly nodded her head.

"Take it slow Avi..." hinawakan ko ang mga kamay niya at marahang binuksan ang mga iyon, "Don't force yourself to remember," I then used my thumb to wipe away the tears staining her lovely face.

Tahimik lang siyang humihikbi habang patuloy lang ako sa pag-alo sa kaniya. Nanatili lang akong nasa tabi niya, kapwa hindi nagsasalita pero alam kong mas kailangan niya ng katahimikan kaysa ng kausap.

"I-I... my memories are all blurry..." her bloodshot, frustrated eyes searched every corner of the room, "I can't... I can't!!!" she forcefully pushed away my hands and gripped both sides of her head tightly.

Despite being pushed away, I wrapped my arms around her once more. I didn't know what else to do, I needed to calm her down somehow. And my heart breaks too, hearing her painful cries.

I softly caressed her head, maintaining our embrace, aiming to provide comfort and soothe her pain. I can still hear her little sobs pero nararamdaman kong unti-unti na siyang kumakalma.

"Hush now, Avi," i softly whispered, slowly pulling away from the hug and facing her, "I know this is hard for you, but I'll be here even though we're both strangers to each other. I'm just here."