Chapter 5

Santini Qien Escovar

"Loh?! Bakit parang kasalanan ko?! Duh! Nag suggest lang ako!"

Hindi ko na pinakinggan pa si Marina at tuluyan nang lumabas ng kwarto para hanapin si Aviana. Sigurado akong hindi naman siya makakalayo dahil kahit ang pasikot-sikot sa maliit na hospital na ito ay hindi niya alam.

Anxiety surged at the idea of her being lost, but it swiftly faded when I saw her in the mini garden behind the hospital. Kaagad naman akong kumilos at naglakad patungo sa kinaroroonan niya.

I found her sitting in the grass, gently parting the blades with her fingers. She had her eyes closed, peacefully absorbing the cool breeze. Approaching her, I joined her on the grass. She sensed my presence, opened her eyes, and turned to me. Our eyes met, and the anger in there faded, replaced by emotions I couldn't quite decipher.

"Avi," I began, still captivated by her eyes.

Nasabi ko na bang ang ganda-ganda ng mga mata niya? The deep and expressive chocolate brown color seemed to enchant whenever our eyes met, conveying a multitude of emotions without a need for words, like the warm embrace of autumn.

"I'm sorry for leaving abruptly without informing you," nagsusumamong sambit ko, "I know that I promised to not leave your side knowing your situation, but my thoughtless actions betrayed that commitment."

"And I didn't expect that you would react this way. I'm sorry for breaking your trust Avi."

Sandaling napapikit ang mga mata ko at saka nagpakawala ng isang malalim na hininga at muling sinalubong ang mga mata nito. Nagliwanag ang mukha ko sa galak nang masilayan ang ngiti sa mga labi niya. Napansin ko rin ang muling pagbalik ng sigla sa mga mata ni Aviana.

"Ang ganda..." mahinang usal ko habang nakatitig sa karikitan ng babaeng nasa harapan ko.

Aviana furrowed her brow, but her smile remained, "What did you say?"

"I said, you should smile more," I said with a grin.

"Hmm, I thought you were cursing me with your language," she playfully accused, narrowing her eyes and giving me a teasing look, which made me burst into laughter.

"I would never do that!" I acted offended, shaking my head, "If I were to do that you, I'd use a language you'd understand. I'm not that cruel, you know."

"What a meanie!" she giggled, playfully hitting my shoulder.

Natawa kaming parehas sa sariling kalokohan. Nakakailang hampas na nga siya sa'kin pero hindi nalang ako nagreklamo dahil ako ang may atraso.

"I'm sorry too, Qien," Aviana sincerely said after our laughter subsided, "I can't explain why I acted that way. Waking up without you beside me made me feel scared. Marina explained your absence, and although I tried to reassure myself that you'd return soon, I couldn't shake the uneasiness, even though it sounds strange."

"Maybe it's linked to something in my past, making me rely so heavily on someone like this."

"Don't force yourself to remember, Avi," I reminded her, "Your memories will eventually return when the-"

"Right time comes," she smiled, interrupting and finishing my sentence, "It might sound cheesy, but I trust you, Qien."

I returned the smile, our eyes meeting again in a tranquil silence. In that serene moment, our gazes intertwine, revealing the delicate balance between vulnerability and strength.

"Thank you," she softly muttered, still wearing a smile. I reached out to pat her head gently, and her giggle filled the air.

"Walang anuman binibini,"