Chapter 9

Santini Qien Escovar

"I told you, Mags. I'm doing just fine."

"Huwag kang mag-complain! I just want to make sure you're not trying to-"

"I'm not," mabilis na pagputol ko sa sinasabi ni Magña, "I made a promise, 'di ba?"

I heard her let out a sigh on the other line and grunted, "Of course you did. And I've lost track of how many times you've promised and ultimately failed due to your katangahan!"

"Totoo na nga this time!" I defended myself, pursing my lips as I walk towards my bathroom door.

"Well, it better be," I imagined her rolling her eyes, "You won't appreciate what I would do if you ever risk ruining your life again."

I suddenly felt shivers down my spine due to her choice of tone. Magña can be truly scary when she wants to be. I tried to not be affected and shrugged it off as  I reached for my toothpaste on the cabinet.

"I know and I understand," I said in defeat, squeezing the almost empty toothpaste tube I'm holding, "You don't have to worry anymore Mags, dahil sa tingin ko ay tuloy-tuloy na ang pagbuti ng lagay ko dito sa isla."

She stayed silent for a moment, only her faint breaths audible. I immediately understood what it meant; she's definitely overthinking. I paused squeezing my toothpaste tube and then reached for my cellphone, which I had placed on the edge of the lavatory.

"Hey Mag-"

"I want to meet her," she interrupted with a serious tone.

My eyebrows furrowed at her statement. She wants to meet who?

"What?"

"Open your cam nga Santi. Nahihirapan ako humawak sa phone," hindi niya pinansin ang pagtataka ko imbes ay inutusan pa akong i-open ang camera ng cellphone ko para magvideo-call.

I didn't complain and did as she told me. When I opened the camera, her formal appearance greeted me. She's already wearing her usual office attire, while doing her make-up. Kaya naman pala nahihirapan humawak ng cellphone.

"You made tito mad again, didn't you?" I asked with a knowing tone, as I've known her for years. Hindi naman siya papasok ng ganito kaaga sa opisina kung wala siyang atraso kay tito or kung may special event sa company nila.

And I bet it's the first reason because she called me. Magña always calls me whenever she wants to distract or calm herself down. Mind you, she has severe anger issues but has a very soft spot for her friends, especially me.

Napangiti nalang ako nang maalala ko ang unang beses na pinakilala siya sa'kin ni Dad bilang playmate ko dahil I refused to interact with any of my siblings dahil sa sama ng loob ko sa kanilang lahat that time. My old man told me that Magña is the only child of his best friend slash business partner and was a bit older than me, so I shouldn't act rude and should treat her with respect unlike how I treated my sisters. But it turned out she was even more maldita than me.

Flashback

"Hello, I'm Santini. Are you-" I was rudely cut off mid-sentence when the older girl in front of me gave me a look that said, stop-talking-to-me-because-I-don't-give-a-single-fork-about-you. My face formed an offended expression, with my mouth slightly hanging open in disbelief.

"Shut it, you little rat! How dare you block my way?!" the older girl snapped, sending glares directly at me. "Save your blabbering nonsense for someone who gives a fuck, because I certainly don't! I'm supposed to meet someone important my old man told me to meet, and now you're making me late!" she yelled, her face starting to turn red. Damn, she's really fuming mad.