Chapter 6

(All pictures, products and if I make allusions to anime, series and games do not belong to me)

The sun has already set as the group approaches Astera. The moon illuminates the night, through the silence of the night the screams of the monsters of the New World ring out as the wyverns slowly begin their approach to Astera.

Astera is quite quiet, the only thing that can be heard is the beating of metal in the forge, they seem to be working day and night. Just like the wild, Astera is dark, with the only light coming from the torches scattered throughout the base.

The wyverns fly towards the walkway and the group jumps off them and lands on the wooden walkway. Flame jumps down from Jaune's shoulder and runs into the base, once again doing his own thing.

Jaune: Hey Flame! Take care!

Flame stops again and looks over at his partner.

Flame: Meow!

And then runs away again. Jaune shakes his head as Marco pats him on the shoulder.

Marco: Even though it's nice that you're worried about your Palico, maybe being a little quieter would be good. Most of them are sleeping.

Jaune laughs a little nervously and scratches the back of his head sheepishly.

Jaune: Sorry.

Sophia giggles a bit with her hand over her mouth and pats Jaune on the back several times.

Sophia: Aren't you always so cool, huh Jaune?

Jaune rolls his eyes in amusement as Marco begins to walk into the base.

Marco: It's late, let's go to sleep. night, both of you.

Jaune/Marco: Night.

And with that Marco disappears. Sophia and Jaune go to the sleeping quarters. But first they take a detour to the camp. The warehouse is a large room with what feels like boxes and is protected by a Palico with a clipboard.

Palico: Meow?

Jaune: Uh the storage box of monster hunter Jaune and handler Sophia.

The Palico looks at his clipboard and nods.

Palico: Meow!

He opens the door to the warehouse and walks towards a large box, the other two follow the Palico and then stop in front of the large box. Jaune opens the box and stores the materials he collected on the last hunt inside. Sophia does the same with the few materials she collected.

Jaune closes the box and the two say goodbye to the Palico before heading back towards the sleeping quarters. Sophia hums a little song to herself as she walks in front of Jaune with a slight bounce in her step.

Jaune: You seem to like the song a lot.

Sophia hums and looks back with a sweet smile.

Sophia: Yes, it has been my favorite song since I heard it from my mother as a child.

The two finally arrive at the sleeping quarters and go inside. It's quiet, only the snoring of the others fills the room with noise. Sophia holds a finger in front of her mouth and walks towards her bunk bed, where she quickly climbs up. Jaune places his katana against his bed and lays down as well before covering himself.

Jaune: Night Sophia.

Sophia: Night Jaune.

After a few minutes of relative silence, Jaune hears Sophia's voice above him.

Sophia: Hey Jaune?

Jaune: Yeah?

Sophia: I just wanted to tell you that I'm happy to have you as my partner.