Forest of Malevolence

"We will cut through here," Luna looked over her shoulder and called back to her companions.

Several yards behind the group, Zora trudged along in silence. Luna hadn't spoken to him in hours. As he walked along the dense forest path he weaved a small ball of ash through his fingers. Luna had told them that leaving the path and cutting through the forest would be the quickest way to Kilwell, being the only one out of the group who had traveled to Kilwell, Zora trusted her judgment.

Still, an unsettling feeling lay upon the forest, a feeling almost sinister. The moment he stepped off the path his sense of foreboding intensified, in that moment he realized that Luna had led them into a region of potent magic.

At the realization Zora quickened his pace, closing the distance between himself and Luna. Although he wanted to respect her boundaries, she clearly preferred to remain left alone, the increasing sense of danger made him reluctant to stray too far from her.

"A strong magic region? You can't be serious?" he whispered.

Luna's chest heaved, "It will be fine Zora, I have been through here before. Just keep moving." Though she attempted to reassure him, Zora couldn't help but notice her apprehension as her fingers nervously rubbed together.

Shaking his head Zora insisted, "It doesn't feel right, we shouldn't be here."

Spinning around to face him, Luna grasped his hand. "Zora, you have to trust me, this is the only option we have." She lowered her voice, "We can't take the path anymore, it's easier to move around in here noticed."

"I don't understand," he whispered back to her.

Luna swallowed, "The path is being watched."

Zora looked up and scanned the trees around them, then back to the path. "By whom?"

She shook her head, "I don't know, by the feel of its mana I don't want to test our luck and find out." Luna turned away from Zora, letting his hand slip from hers. The frightened look in her eyes revealed her uncertainty about what they should do next.

"It's okay, whatever it is we can handle it, we're magic knights," he smiled reassuringly, "Plus, I have seen how you handle yourself."

She smirked, "I usually do pretty well when arrogant mages aren't getting in my way."

Zora cocked a half smile, "You ever going to let me live that down?"

She nudged him to the side, "No."

From up behind him Zora could hear the grumbling in Asta's stomach, even when he wasn't talking he was still loud.

"Are we going to make camp any time soon? I'm starving," whined Asta.

He pressed a hand to his stomach as a familiar growl reverberated along his abdomen. Zora sighed, "We really should consider stopping soon. I don't think any of us ate breakfast or lunch this morning."