Pursuit [Ch 4]

"Please, General. Don't make this difficult. The decision has already been made!" My stone-cold expression hardened more and I tried even harder to make my point across. Even Alhaitham, sitting at the scribes place in the conference hall, looked at me disapprovingly. "This is a child! I am supposed to protect them, not let them run headfirst into their death!"

"That's why we are entrusting you to keep them safe. They were the best absolvent of last years Matra training course and will make a great apprentice for you." I gritted my teeth and clenched my fist. "You can't be serious…", I mumbled as the Grand Sage stood up and turned around.

"All instructions and responsibilities are already at your desk. No further discussion needed. Meeting's over!" All of the sages as well as Alhaitham rose from their seats and retreated from their pedestal. The fox kid, who stood there the whole time as required, finally lost some of his composure as I stomped out of the room with my head hanging low in desperation and anger, my white hair covering my gritted teeth.

I heard their steps following me shortly after, trying to catch up on me. As we reached my office I opened the door and we both got in. I quickly regained composure and closed the door swiftly. "Please, take a seat", I offered to them and got to my seat. As promised there was a stack of papers regarding the current situation.

Earlier that day the Akademiya officials announced a meeting concerning the Sages and me. I had no idea what this was all about but I soon learned that the Akademiya assigned me the top one Matra graduant as a appreciate but also acting as an assistant.

I assumed that they were kind of sick of my loner mentality. They had no guarantee that I wouldn't hide anything so they positioned someone close to me. I admit, it would require a big change in my schedule but I would manage.

The only thing throwing me off was the fact that they assigned a CHILD onto that position. I knew what I signed up for when I got promoted to be General Mahamatra but to drag a child along towards danger was certainly not on my job description!

I let out a heavy sigh. But now is also a really bad time for something like this. I noticed that someone was observing me for the whole day, someone I didn't know and that had no ties to the Akademiya at hand. I smuggled an encoded letter in Colleis pocket earlier to let my husband know that I would stay at the Akademiya till this conflict is resolved as to not accidentally lead them towards Gandharva Ville. I could never forgive myself if anything happened to them because of me…

The child sat before me, struggling to maintain his Mantra composure. Their big ears twitched nervously and I noticed that they were fiddling with their fingers in their lap.

I picked up the first sheet of paper on the stack labelled 'Personal Informations'. "Sooo… Bas, is it? I just wanted to make something clear…" I think I spoke a bit to harsh because they tensed up a bit. "Y-yes, sir?", they said with the raspy voice of them. "I am not mad about your age in regard of strength and experience but because I disagree to send a child purposefully into danger. It's nothing personal, I have trust in your abilities. The Matra training is not something to get through easily."

I could see that their nerves were calming down a bit. "Have no worries about me, Sir. I'll do my best to avoid trouble. I won't be a nuisance, I promise." They bowed their head before me and my tension loosened up a bit. "I'll count on that!", I said sternly after placing my chin on top of my hands.

"So, you will accompany me to enforcement missions and assist me in matters regarding paperwork and organization. You are allowed to wear your own clothes, no mantra uniform required for you. Your weapon will return to me after completed missions, no outside handling, at least for the first year, understood?"