XII

The night enveloped them, a fragile shroud of unity fractured by the revelation that echoed in the chilling wind. Vanessa, Daryl, and Carol gathered around the fire, distant enough from the group to keep their discussion private. The flames flickered in tandem with the unsettling words exchanged.

"We're not safe with him, keeping something like that away from us?" Carol's concern cut through the air. Vanessa added her voice to the growing dissent, "She's right, Dare. He can't be trusted." Carol pressed further, "Why do you need him? He's just gonna pull you down."

Daryl, however, remained staunch in his loyalty, insisting, "Rick's done alright by me." Vanessa, unyielding, asserted, "You're his henchman. You deserve better."

"What d' ya want?" Daryl asked, a note of frustration in his voice. Carol and Vanessa exchanged a glance, and Carol responded, "A man of honor."

Daryl defended Rick, stating, "Rick has honor," closing the discussion with an unwavering loyalty that left the others unsettled. Vanessa and Carol stayed there sighing softly. Maggie suggested taking their chances, but Hershel soberly reminded them of their lack of fuel and ammunition.

Suddenly, the rustling of leaves disrupted the uneasy conversation. Vanessa and Daryl sprang into action, weapons at the ready. "What was that?" Beth asked, and Daryl, attempting to calm the situation, suggested it could be anything—a raccoon, a possum. But Glenn stopped him, declaring, "A walker."

As the tension rose, Rick implored the group not to panic and cautioned against scattering into the woods. Carol insisted, "We need to do something." Rick, his patience worn thin, erupted, recounting his sacrifices and the threats they faced. "I am doing something! I'm keeping this group together! Alive! I've been doing that all long, no matter what! I didn't ask for THIS! I killed my best friend for you people, for Christ's sake !" The revelation of Shane's murder stunned the group, leaving Lori and Carl unsurprised but still somber.

"You saw what he was like, how he pushed me, how he compromised us, how he threatened us ! He staged the whole Randall thing, led me out to put a bullet in my back. He gave me no choice! He was my friend but he came after me. My hands are clean." Carl softly cries in his mother's arms while Vanessa and Daryl glance at each other, shocked by the revelation.

Rick, acknowledging the gravity of the situation, declared, "Maybe you people are better off without me, go ahead. I say there's a place for us, but maybe - maybe it's just another pipe dream. Maybe I'm fooling myself again. Why don't you go and find out yourself? Send me a postcard! You can do better? Let's see how far you get." A heavy silence hung in the air as Rick contemplated the viability of his vision. "No takers? Fine. But get one thing straight, you're staying, this isn't a democracy anymore," he asserted, leaving the group in a stunned silence as he retreated into the depths of the woods, the fractures in their unity growing wider with each passing moment.

~~~

The morning sun cast dappled shadows through the woods as the fractured group set out in search of supplies. Daryl's subtle nod directed Vanessa to join him, a small smile playing on her lips as she followed him to his motorcycle. As Vanessa settled in behind him, wrapping her arms around his waist, she felt a momentary tension in Daryl's muscles. A mischievous smirk crossed her face. "Oh, do I have an effect on you, Mr. Dixon?"

Daryl smirked in response. "Don't overestimate yerself, Ms. Morgan. Ye just have cold hands."

Vanessa chuckled. "Whatever." The duo rode away in search of resources, eventually coming across a secluded house in the woods. Inside, a handful of walkers lurked. With the silent coordination of seasoned survivors, Daryl dispatched them with his crossbow, and Vanessa expertly wielded her knife.

Exploring the house, they uncovered a modest cache of ammunition and a bow. Vanessa playfully teased Daryl about using arrows, to which he responded with a smirk, "Don't count on me to provide ye any arrows, Morgan." After ensuring they didn't miss anything, including a few cereal bars, they mounted Daryl's motorcycle and resumed their journey.

After a while, Daryl brought the bike to a halt. Vanessa inquired about the pause, and Daryl pointed to a small imprint in the mud. "That's a deer," he stated. Vanessa smiled at the prospect of fresh game and boldly declared, "Bet I'll get it faster." Daryl chuckled, replying, "Wouldn't count on that, princess." Vanessa's pace stopped at the nickname, her cheeks tinted with a blush.

Daryl, satisfied with the reaction he'd elicited, dismounted the bike and walked past her. "Watch out, yer losing time already." Vanessa's smile widened as she accepted the unspoken challenge, venturing into the woods with renewed determination to prove herself in the hunt.