a diwali to remember

The next morning, Nandita awoke to the soft rays of the sun streaming through her window. As she opened her eyes, she felt a sense of disorientation, as if the events of the previous night were distant fragments of a dream. The room looked familiar, and for a moment, she couldn't grasp the threads of memory that connected her to the reality she had known.

Yawning and stretching, Nandita sat up in bed. Her head felt heavy, a dull ache lingering at the edges of her consciousness. As she tried to recall the details of the night before, a peculiar sense of amnesia settled over her thoughts. It was as if a fog had descended, shrouding the events in a haze of uncertainty.

She noticed a glass of water and a small pill on the bedside table. Instinctively, she reached for them, swallowing the pill to alleviate the headache that pulsed in her temples. The act was so routine, so mundane, that she didn't question its origin or purpose.

As Nandita got out of bed and glanced at herself in the mirror, her reflection revealed no signs of the previous night's escapade. The lehenga she had worn to Krishna's Diwali party hung neatly in her closet, and there was no trace of the temporary escape she had sought.

In the bathroom, she lit a cigarette, the familiar routine bringing a momentary sense of comfort. The smoke curled in the air, dancing like forgotten memories that lingered just beyond her reach.

Feeling oddly composed, Nandita descended the stairs to the living room. The scent of incense wafted through the air, signaling the preparations for Diwali puja. Haseena and Anubhav were arranging flowers, lighting diyas, and setting up the altar with devotion.

"Good morning, Mom, Dad," Nandita greeted them with a smile, the events of the night before buried in the recesses of her mind. Haseena looked at her daughter with a mixture of relief and concern, while Anubhav greeted her with a warm smile.

"Good morning, beta. Dhang se neend aayi na?" Haseena asked, a careful watchfulness in her eyes.

Nandita nodded, the fog of forgetfulness preventing her from recalling any disturbance in her sleep. "Yeah, I feel great."

"Acha chal aja, yeh mandir sajane mein help karde shaam ko puja ke liye." Anubhav said while the girl nodded.

Haseena could see in her expressions that she didn't remember anything about what had happened last night. She felt a wave of sadness wash over but shook it off as she put up the flower garlands on the window.

Nandita took the tray, her fingers moving mechanically as she focused on the task at hand. The rhythmic motions allowed her mind to wander momentarily, but the events of the party remained elusive.

As the family gathered for the puja, Nandita participated with a serene expression, as if the chaos of the previous night had never occurred. The prayers, the rituals, and the joyous atmosphere enveloped her, providing a temporary escape from the complexities that lingered beneath the surface.

After the puja, the family sat down for a festive meal. Nandita engaged in light conversations, her interactions with her family carrying a sense of normalcy. She savored the flavors of the festive dishes, allowing the warmth of the occasion to permeate her senses.

"Badhiya khana bana hai na?" Anushka said happily, popping the puri on her plate while Nandita nodded with a laugh.

In the evening all the members of MPT were coming over for a small party and bursting some crackers. Nandita was also going back to the Kota the next day. She had a train for the afternoon next day.

The girl looked around the house wistfully as she thought about going back to Kota.

Evening drew closer while Nandita found herself in front of the mirror once again, getting ready in the lehenga from last night. Anything and everything she remembered from last night flashed into her mind like a film clip as she felt goosebumps thinking about what she did with Manas.