02 | Linked by a Thread

| Minji's House |

Every new morning was torture for the immortal soul who called herself Minji. Everyone else in her position might not see it that way, because her life wasn't so bad to outsiders. She owned a house, she owned a café, she had a lot of money at her disposal and could acquire even more if she wanted to. But none of it had any real value in her eyes. She lived alone, very rarely someone came by and cleaned the house, but that was just a paid cleaner.

There was only one other person in her life who was more consistent and frequent and that was her employee Danielle Marsh. There were many applicants for the job in her café and most of them were just students who wanted to earn some extra money. But the moment Danielle waved to her and sat in the chair in front of her, it was clear that she was going to hire her. Minji didn't know why, probably because it was a familiar face that reminded her of the past. It even fueled the hope that she could see more familiar faces?

Danielle has been working for them for four years. In that time, however, Minji also gave up hope, because of course she didn't meet anyone else who would remind her of anyone else. Of course that would never happen. If it did happen, the world was far too big for everything to happen just in her immediate surroundings. Billions of people went about their daily routines, how long would Minji have to search? She was cursed, cursed to suffer all her life and this life would most likely never end.

Absent-mindedly, Minji stood in the shower. The hot water splashed against her fair skin. There were scars all over her body, scars of the past. Scars that caused a phantom pain every now and then... but it didn't hurt nearly as much as having the same dream every night. Dream. No, it wasn't a dream, it was a fact. Minji leaned her forehead against the tiled wall and closed her eyes as she tried to sort out her thoughts and enjoy the hot shower. An image of Hanni flashed in the darkness of her closed vision. A smile on her lips as she held a small talisman in her hands and the blush on her face made itself known.

She lashed out with her hand and hit the tiled wall so hard that she broke part of the tile and the knuckles of her hand began to bleed. With a heavy sigh, she cleaned her hand and turned off the water to get out of the shower and grab the towel. She dried herself off, put on fresh clothes and made her way to the kitchen. There she took a small box out of one of the cupboards containing various medicines. Of course, she couldn't just leave the small wound open, which is why she self-medicated and bandaged the wound. 

Without eating breakfast, she left her kitchen again, no, she even left her house after putting on her shoes and reaching for the car keys on the dresser in front of the front door. Her coworker was probably already waiting for Minji to come by; after all, she had to evaluate and approve of Danielle's new decorations. Not that she ever had a problem with it, because Danielle really did have an eye for it and she had already told her several times that she didn't need her permission. Nevertheless, her employee insisted, partly because Danielle needed the confirmation and partly because she simply wanted to lure her boss out of the house and bring her to the people.

Minji got into her car, put the key in the ignition and started the engine. Her gaze wandered to the rear-view mirror and as she shifted into reverse, her attention fell on a talisman hanging under the rear-view mirror. The same talisman she gave Hanni, which she always carried with her. Minjis tried to avert her gaze, visibly taken aback by the sight, and stepped on the gas pedal to finally get moving. Not that she was in a hurry, but it was much better to occupy herself somehow than to constantly wallow in the past, especially when it only tore her broken heart even more to pieces.