Chapter XXII

3rd Person P.O.V.

While James was battling for control against Jack, Jackie argued with her wolf.

'What the hell are you doing?' Jackie seethed at her wolf through their link, furious at her for antagonizing James' wolf.

'I'm just trying to have some fun with our mate,' Eco spoke innocently as if nothing was wrong with making his wolf lose control.

'James' wolf is in control! He could do something out of instinct that could affect our relationship.' Jackie snapped, watching through her wolf's eyes as Jack hovered over her body, looking into her eyes intently.

'He's our mate, Jackie. He's not going to hurt us,' Eco tries to season, 'plus, you know if he goes too far you can stop him.'

'I don't want to risk it. What if I hurt him?' Jackie asked.

'He's an alpha, you aren't going to hurt him,' She scoffed before continuing, 'and don't want to risk what?'

'Risk losing control of my body and giving into the desire,' Jackie snapped, tears coming to her eyes. She didn't want to give in. She knew she wasn't ready to go all the way. It scared her to think she could lose control so easily.

Suddenly, Jackie was in James' arms and they were sitting up against the fallen log. He was holding her close to his chest and didn't want to let go. At some point while Jackie was talking to her wolf, her eyes filled with tears. That was when Jack gave control back to James, claiming he didn't know what was going on and thought he was hurting her.

"Shhh," James cooed not knowing what else to do. He thought what Jack had done had hurt her. He thought they had pushed her too far. "I'm sorry, we're sorry."

When Jackie's sobs turned into low whimpers and the tears stopped flowing, she had the ability to speak, "It's-it's not your f-fault." Even though her delicate voice was barely audible James heard her clearly.

"No, it is. Jack shouldn't have done that and I shouldn't have lost control," James whispered into her ear, feeling responsible for his mate being hurt.

"D-don't blame yourself. Jack has his instincts that he needs to follow. It's not your fault. I'm just not ready to go that far yet," Jackie didn't know if what she said was the right thing but it was all she could think of. "I'm also being a crybaby right now. I'm sorry you have to see me like this." She wiped her eyes on her sleeve, looking away from her mate and towards the ground.

"No, don't say that. You're not being a crybaby you just have emotions. If I'm being honest, I'm happy you feel comfortable enough to show your feelings to me," James' voice was a low whimper in Jackie's ear. He didn't enjoy seeing her like this but he was happy she was comfortable with him and being honest with how she felt.

"Can we just um... cuddle for a bit?" Jackie asked nervously, turning her body around in his arms so their chest to chest.

"Of course, we can do whatever you want," he said as he laid down on the soft grass, intertwining their legs together.

________

Hours later, James and Jackie woke up with their legs tangled together. Jackie's head was resting on James' chest while his head was on the top of her head. They were still in the small clearing, the only difference from before was the darkness surrounding the night sky. Both of them were content being in each other's arms. They were so caught up in each other's presence that they were oblivious to the pair of honey-brown eyes lurking in the woods surrounding them.

The eyes, full of hatred, stared at the couple intently, watching their every move. The man the eyes belonged to had been watching the oh-so-happy couple since they had made it to the clearing, taking notes on their every move and weaknesses. He was disgusted with how they acted, disgusted by the joy they held. He was furious with them, especially the girl. She had taken everything from him. His brother, his parents, his loyal friends and followers. Everything. He wanted revenge.