TMNT FF: Diabetic Burnout

Mikey is dealing with diabetic burnout in the future and Cody and the turtles are here to help
-----------------------------------------------------------

It was an almost normal day in New York city 2105. Raph and Leo were training with Master Splinter, Donnie was reading per usual and Cody was in the lab doing.....whatever Cody does. All except the party dude, but he wasn't partying at all, in fact, he wasn't doing anything.

Mikey was on the couch and wasn't feeling like himself. He was tired, cranky and unproductive. Not even his video game could cheer him up. Cody just finished his upgrade to the portal so they can go home and went to go get a snack. On the way he ran into Sterling.

"Ahh Master Cody. Glad to see you are taking a break for once." Sterling said while carrying some books for Donnie.

"Hi Sterling. Have you seen Mikey, I want to show him something I know he's going to love." He said while showing a new video game in his hand.

"Yes. He's in the sitting room. Seems a bit glum so try and cheer him up."

"OK. Thanks!" Cody dashed out to see Mikey. But when he got there, he was shocked to see him so quiet, so sad, so....not-Mikey.

"Hey Mikey what's up?" He asked the turtle laying on his plasteron. "Hmmm." He grumbled back.

Cody was confused. The usually happy and energetic turtle was now slumped on the couch doing nothing.

"What's wrong Mikey?" He asked, starting to get worried about the turtles condition.

"I'm just having a down day." He mumbled while turning his head to the side." I just can't keep my stupid blood sugars to stay level." He moaned

" What do you meen Mikey?" Cody asked, curious to find out what he was implying.

"Ask Don, I don't really feel like talking right now." He said while turning his head to face the couch cushions.

Cody walked out of the room to see Donnie walking over to the lab.

"Hey Cody." Donie chirpped.

"Hi Donnie. Can I ask you a question?"

"Sure ask away."Donnie replied.

"Mikey said he was having a 'low day' and he can't get his blood sugars to 'stay level'. What does that meen exactly?" He asked him.

"Ohhhh it's one of those days huh."

Cody was confused by his reply and cocked his head a bit to the side.

" Let me explain to you. Mikey has type 1 diabetes. Meaning his pancreas doesn't produce insulin like ours does. So he has things to help regulate his sugars like a dexcom. You know that thing on his arm?"

Cody nodded.

" That helps to monitor his blood sugars, but sometimes his blood sugars can go all over the place. One minute he is high, the next he is low and he feels really exhausted and well...un-Mikey."

Donnie explained to the now concerned teen.

" Is there a cure for it?" He asked the purple terrapin.

" In our time no. We only have stuff like an insulin pen to balance his blood sugars. But we can do things to help him with it." Donnie said.

"Like what?" Cody asked

" Like doing all the things that Mikey loves. Cuddles, food, movies and bonding time."

Cody and Donnie gathered Raph, Sensei and Leo to go see the youngest, who was still feeling blue.

"Are you alright my son?" Master Splinter asked while rubbing his shell, causing Mikey to churr in response.

"Low day huh, nucklehead?" Raph asked softly.

"Yea." Mikey answered.

"Wanna watch a movie." Leo chirpped in.

"....yea." Mikey smiled tiredly

And that was it. The spent the whole day with Mikey. Doing his favourite things to make him feel better. And by the end, his low day was washed away by a good nap and some TLC.

This was my first book and I am going to be writing some more soon.