Hunting & Pain

I was up in my room, drawing James for the hundredth time, when I saw Bella running towards the house. I sat it down and started counting.

"Artemis! Want to come hunting!" Charlie shouted up the stairs.

"What are we going for?" I asked as I came down the stairs.

"Giant Wolves, apparently...I'm going to assume that's what attacked you, not a bear." Charlie said once I came into view.

I touched the scar that was on my face, thinking back to it.

"I'm in; just let me know when," I said, nodding my head in agreement.

~Two Weeks~

"You sure you're okay, Harry?" I asked, looking back at him as he stopped.

"You worry too much. Go ahead. You don't have to wait for me." Harry said,

"There's monsters in these woods. Not going to leave you by yourself." I said, clicking the safety off as I felt her nearby.

I never understood it or why. But ever since I broke up with Paul, I could feel her when I was not on the Reservation. I felt a little pull telling me I should go to her. I couldn't ask Carlisle about it; nobody would respond when I messaged them, telling them I wasn't doing well and I needed help.

"Harry. You should go catch up with the others." I said, turning and pointing my gun up the tree at Victoria when she appeared.

"Artemis-" Harry started, raising his gun to Victoria too.

"Harry, run!" I shouted as she knocked the gun out of my hands; moving close, she caressed my cheek with the back of her hand.

"You could have just asked nicely," she smiled sweetly at me,

She pushed me back and into a tree; I gritted my teeth in pain as she sunk her teeth into my shoulder. Everything's blurry, Harry! I shook my head as I forced myself to get back to my feet, looking for Harry. When I saw him on the ground, I tried getting to him, but I tripped over something and fell to the ground.

"Artemis! Harry!" Charlie yelled as he and the others arrived.

Charlie went to Harry and checked his pulse before starting CPR; Adam, one of Charlie's co-workers, came over to me, helping me up. I leaned against him, everything going blurry. 

"Artemis, stay awake, kid," Adam said, tapping my cheek lightly.

"Head hurts..." I muttered as he lowered me to the ground.

He had me sit with my back to Harry, but I knew. He handed me his water as he took out some painkillers. I should have tried something else...I should have trailed behind him or something. I knew this was going to happen, and I still couldn't stop it.

"I'm sorry," I said, not sure who I was apologizing to.

"Not your fault, kid," Adam said as he hugged me.

.

I sat on the steps of Sue's porch. I was on my third cigarette. I had been staying with her for the past three days. She was on the phone with Billy; I had an idea what it was about. Quil had come down with Mono, and he texted me an apology for not being able to keep his promise.

"Where's Mom?" Leah asked, standing in front of me with her arms crossed and a scowl on her face. Seth was standing behind her and looking to the woods, away from me. I glanced over, I could see everyone was there, even Quil.

"Inside, talking to Billy," I said, turning my head as I blew out some smoke, not that it would do much since they had a heightened smell now.

"...You shouldn't smoke," Seth said, now looking at me. 

"Already got a lecture on it from Charlie," I said, putting it out with my foot.

"Artemis...I'm okay now. You should be getting home," Sue said from behind me.

"Let us know if you need anything," I got up and gave Sue a soft smile.

"We won't...Mom won't say it. Neither will Seth, but it's your fault." Leah said, anger in her voice.

"Leah!" Sue and Seth said, looking at her wide-eyed.

"I know. You can give Bella my bag." I said, looking at Leah.

I walked away from them. I was expecting Sue to call back out to me. I looked back over after I climbed onto my bike. Sam was by her, whispering. I grabbed my helmet and put it on. I kicked the stand-up and revved several times before taking off at a dangerous speed. Everything hurts.