A Birthday boy!

All the boys are eating. Caleb already told Max they were getting him gifts today. He is going to act surprised. He does not want to ruin the mood for his brothers. No one is talking. Max and Caleb slept, and they feel like there is tension in the air. Zack is the first one to speak. All brothers will part of the conversation. Zack(Z), Grayson(G), Jackson(J), Sam(S), Caleb(C), and Max(M).

(Z) Max how did you sleep?

(M) Good, the medicine really helped thank you.

(Z) You're welcome birthday boy. 

Max looks confused. He knew today is his birthday, but they have not celebrated it in two years.

(G) Did you think we would not be doing something for your birthday?

(M) You haven't in two years. I thought it would just be a normal day. 

(J) We promise things are changing. 

(S) We love you and happy birthday. 

(M) I love you too and thank you. 

All the brothers smile and they continue eating. 

(Z) Caleb, how are you?

(C) I am fine. 

(Z) That is not what I hear. 

(G) What did you hear?

(Z) I heard there were too assholes this morning and Caleb cried a bit. 

(J) We were trying to find everything and. 

(Z) Save it, you two and I will have a discussion after diner with all the boys in the living room. 

(C) I just wanted to hurry and get back. I knew today was Max's birthday. I just wanted to let him know I am here for him. 

(Z) I understand that. I am sorry I made you go. I should have let you stay with us.

(M) I liked spending time with you too. 

(G) We did not mean to be rude. He was rushing us, and he was emotional today.

(S) Well, he was not the dick today. You two were. He also never beat, berated, embarrassed, or belittled another brother. So, there is that. 

Max looks at Sam and hugs him. All the other brothers can't say anything. They know Sam is right. 

(Z) Like I said we will have a talk. Max are you done eating?

(M) Yes sir. I am full. 

(J) I am done too. I will clear our plates. 

(Z) We are having this again for dinner. I got plenty for tonight as well. 

All the boys nod. The boys finish up eating and they bring the cake out. The sing happy birthday and everyone eats a piece of cake. They make Max the center of attention and he enjoys it. He has not gotten love from his brothers in a while. They all hug him, and he is making a face. 

(G) What is the face for?

(M) It's nothing, I am ok. 

(Z) Max, baby we need you to tell us. 

(S) Are you hurting?

(M) A little. 

(J) Why are you scared to tell us when you are hurting?

(M) I don't want yall to think I am weak or annoying. I am afraid, it will go. I am just scared. 

(Z) You are afraid it will go back to the way it was?