Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"Schopengaard is one and zero!"

Sapphire grins from ear to ear. The cafeteria is crowded as students gather to hear the normally morbid details of the exhibition. Since these are preliminary bouts, they are never broadcaster except through audio transmission. She almost never listened into these, but this time she was curious, hopeful, Leon was going to bring them something different. 

Shurrel sits on the other side of her, as does Breyton, a tall rikan who wears a special pair of shades indoors over his eyes and whose hair is like a flat block on his head. The oldest among them, Herbert, is a rika with thick green goggles over his eyes and a red blazer jacket over his uniform.

Shurrel asks: What did you guys do?

"Jess did the real work enchanting the sword. I just broke into a  girl's room." Sapphire says.

"I believe it." Breyton says.

"An enchanted sword alone cannot beat a bolgian touched thermo elf." Herbert says.

"Bolgian what?" Sapphire asks.

"Bolgia touched.  You know the bolgias are the land of the demons, right?"

"Yeah, bout the only thing I know about demons." Sapphire says.

"A non demon who has prolonged exposure to the bolgias or makes a contract with a demon becomes partially a demon themselves. and of course being a thermo elf already comes with greater physical prowess-

"Flash." Breyton says.

"and Flash. If there's another thermo elf, they will most certainly start with it.  Release all of that built up energy and reach inelven levels of physicality."

"On top of being a demon. Shitestone, this Leon ain't winning the last one." Breyton says.

"I dunno, might as well hope for a blessing." Sapphire says.

"Why do you think the military drafts thermo elves like they're going extinct? You can't beat these guys when they get serious." Breyton says.

"Well, they almost have gone extinct from over drafting, but I get your point." Herbert says.

"Hey, what is Leon by the way? Rika like us?" Breyton asks.

"Looks more Aasidee or Draco, can't tell which." Sapphire says.

"Shitestone. Was hoping one of us would've been the first to make it." Breyton says.

"Its  because they don't have the guts to send casters in. I'd sweep them faster than I can sweep the floor." Sapphire says.

"I've seen your floor, girl,  that would be a slow sweeping job." Breyton says.

Sapphire playfully punches his arm.

"I'll have you know, the only reason I don't sweep is cause Fraul insists. She doesn't trust my masterful sweeping."

"Lets be quiet now, I get the feeling the second match will start shortly." Herbert says.

Sapphire lets out a stuttered breath. Its almost too good to be true, only one match in, but she wants to see this miracle. Wants to imagine the smug expressions of those elve in the stands turn to horror and anger as their top three people are beaten into the dirt by what's, more or less, a student.

___

One down for Leon, though the order is not what Mystico predicted. He was thinking what the queen would do, and this guy decided to come out on his own. He looks the opposite of Kwan. He's a lot of flash and flare.  Tall but not that lean. He's a lot like the rapier he carries: thin and not very sturdy. Unless it's enchanted as well.