Chapter 40

Chapter 40

Eliza steps in front of Magarie. Maybe it was some sick kind of "benevolence" that Apopis keeps her alive, only badly burnt.  

"Get away, idiot. You can't, win." Magarie says.

That you are even alive is only because I need you so.

Fire rains down all over. Aimed primarily at the outskirts, where she last sees the other newly arrived allies. Burriers form to protect everyone. The flames are weak, but she gets the suspicion they were intentionally so. 

Tell them to leave, child. I have no interest in killing them. I am here only for you and the woman.

"You do not need both of us." Eliza says.

How many more are you willing to lose to spare that worthless life?

Eliza flinches. He's reading her mind, picking out every little tidbit and weakness, of which their is a wealth of. 

You are only alive because I allow it. You are a flea charging a dragon. I am a war you will never win.

Eliza can't argue against Apopis right now. She's not exactly fresh. Leon's preoccupied. Sapphire and Magarie are down .Ralphonse she can spot hobbling towards her newly arriving students,  who are barely protecting themselves from Apopis's perpetual barrage of sky fire.

The noble himself, with all his injuries, stands tall. He can fight for a long, long time still. Eliza is not the hero that can protect them all.

Her arms suddenly lash against her body. Stupid! While she was surveying her surroundings, Apopis summoned his kuoi around her. She grasps for a way out as Apopis stares at her with those empty eyes within spitting distance.

Very close distance.

She shouts another wind spell.Too quick and close for Apopis to summon a flame, he stumbles and Eliza is released. She peels Magarie off the stone. She stares at Eliza, groaning, without the strength to speak. Holding Magarie on her back, she runs a short distance. Magarie isn't exactly a heavy girl, but for Eliza, she may as well have been a mountain.

Eliza's feet are swept from under her. Magarie rolls off her as she drops. She escaped Apopis's trap, however is no closer to overcoming him. She turns over, fighting at the kuoi dragging her towards him. 

Eliza fires a beam from her fingers. The kuoi lets go, and Apopis summons two flames. One of them explodes on impact, but rather than blow up in Apopis's face, the second one absorbs the fire.

Your trick is nothing to me.

"Wind!"

Nothing at all. Oh prima, why is this not working now?

She tries again, but the result is the same.

You're done.

The kuoi wraps around Eliza and renders her immobile again. Eliza grits her teeth, preparing for the burns about to run up and down her. It squeezes tightly, taking the air out of her.

Apopis is suddenly bowled over, Leon driving his feet and sending him staggering.

Leon stands, apart from the mob of spawn at last. They chase after him, but a hail of barely visible crystal shards come down on the spawn.

Eliza is released, able to catch her breath at least. She has done all that she can to fend Apopis off. Magarie, Sapphire, Ralphonse and everyone have been kept safe. Let Leon put an end to this.