Chapter 35

Chapter 35

Eliza can make due with the flat stones that act as beds, but these stone slabs being the only means of writing is not helping out.

She could use helios to engrave her words, but she has become hesitant to use that here. Ever since leaving the cave, it felt like every time she used the helios, the hairs on her neck would stand and her whole body would heat up.  

She never felt alone here either, and it was not a great positive for her. When Magarie is not keeping her company, it is a feeling of perpetually being glared at from around the corner. She suspects the entirety of the bolgias  feel this way, one gargantuan demonic aura attempting to scare her out.

"Concentrate, Eliza. Lets see, it'll most likely be myself and Magarie to start. If Leon has recovered, he will join in as well. I do not know what sort of spell I could use. Helios I know can hurt him. Right, and I must not forget he needs me alive. Therefore he will be holding back significantly." she says.

Bup a bubba, bup a bubba, bup a bubba, ting.

Eliza rises from the dining hall table to the curious music narrowly reaching her ears. An odd music she couldn't pin down to any single instrument she had ever heard of. The pounding of a drum, plucking of a string and the melodies of a wind instrument simutaneously.  She follows the sound upstairs and into one of the bedrooms.

It ends when she opens the door, Magarie pulling the bizzare instrument from her mouth. Shaped as a large brown shell, four strings stretched across the front, with a spout like mouthpiece on the tail end and holes along the sides, four in the front.

"What is that?" Eliza asks.

"It's called a Melage. It's been awhile since I had a go at it. The only instrument created in the bolgias."

"How does it work? There are so many parts to it."

"It was made so whoever was carrying it could perform any piece of music the lordship asked for. Only in the last two hundred years have demons with the luxury of boredom tried using all the parts together." Magarie says.

"Curious." Eliza says.

"I don't know how you produce anything of quality with this. Some artifacts should stay in the dust bin." Magarie said.

The music was, admittedly, not very memorable for Eliza. She couldn't really put together what she heard in memory anymore, not even a minute after Magarie stopped playing. She picks it off the bed herself and plucked the strings. It would be easier scraping musical notes on a brimstone block!

"These weren't meant for normal fingers. My quick healing kuoi is how I am able to." Magarie says.

"How can it even produce sound?" Eliza asks.

"Someone found a way...if you're going to be bothering me, close the door."

"Sorry!"

She shuts it.

"I cannot blame you entirely for feeling paranoid. This place is menacing unto itself." Eliza says.

"Mostly to you. The bolgias do not like celestials." Magarie says.

"So I assumed." Eliza says.

"But, there is an upside. The bolgias can't change you."

"Change me?"

"I was a normal new elf. I became what I am because of being in the bolgias for long enough. It won't happen to you, I'm pretty sure." Magarie says.

A decent relief. Petty as it sounds, she does not want to imagine looking more like Magarie.