Strive 102: Confliction

Kibishi's POV

Middle City...

"And this should be the last one for the day!" Kuma says while looking at her notepad with today's daily. We all were in the city's center, checking to see if we missed any tasks we had to take on for the day. But it seems like we haven't forgotten anything good. 

"Yup! That should be everything for today! We did it, gang!" Jir says with a bright smile.

"..." I slowly nodded while looking at my list.

"Kishi? Why are you frowning?" Tao asks.

"..." I narrow my eyes. "...I'm not sad, Tao. I'm just thinking, is all." I answer my friend honestly. "Why are you thinking so hard then? Is it because of the founder?" Jir asks with a concerned expression. "If I'm being honest, yeah," I answer bluntly. Kuma places her left index finger under her chin and says, "I don't understand, Kibi. It's not like he spitefully left everyone without any word. Like I said before, it's no one's fault. Everyone didn't do what they were supposed to do. And that's what caused the panic from this morning."

"..." I closed my eyes and slowly nodded.

Pat!

I felt a hand resting on each shoulder and opened my eyes. I saw Kuma in front of me with an honest and kind expression. She smiles at me and speaks, "Kibi, stop overthinking, okay? I'm not trying to tell you how you're supposed to feel.  I'm just saying that thinking about it isn't worth your time. You'll build unnecessary stress and cause your heart to ache from it. At least during daily, not to mention our free time, try to relax and stay positive. Trust me, it's for the best..."

"Kuma..." I whispered.

"*Sighs*" Kuma let go of my shoulder and blushed while scratching her neck. "Listen, Kibi. Everything is going to be okay, alright? You don't HAVE to agree with anyone here. You have the right to agree and disagree with anything. From my personal experience, remaining silent and acknowledging someone's opinion is the right way to go. I don't care what anyone thinks; if something feels off to you, then trust your instinct. I know you have some things in your mind you want to talk about. But you feel like if it's wrong, then you may be at fault there. Like for example, the first report with that monster in human form. I still can't 100% believe it, but I trust you enough to acknowledge it. You don't lie about something that doesn't relate to the small stuff. Plus, you're crap at telling lies. You keep it from within. Some say it might be selfish, like The Founder or my old man. But that's their viewpoint and nothing else—a 'soldier's' perspective despite us not being soldiers. I just want to get that out of the way. We're a resistance, not an army. An army doesn't use kids, only young adults and older."

"But my point is everyone's life and experiences form who they are. And their opinion reflects on how that person was raised.  Like me...." Kuma frowns and closes her eyes. "I don't have the best personality out of all of us. I might be a bit crazy as well. But you know what? I also have a human side. Heck, I even got a girly one as well. For example, I like the color blue, but my second favorite is pink, like Tao. I love cute skirts and shoes, and heck, I even love to wear adorable dresses whenever H.U.M.A.N.I.T.Y. has its annual celebration for the fallen heroes from the past. Ah, I'm ranting at this point. Back to the main point...ehehe..." Kuma says shyly.

Wow. Kuma is sort of cute when she's not hunting for creatures or acting insane. Frankly, I think the insanity part maybe this "coping" thing Tao told me about before. 

So, I'm guessing everyone here has some shape or form to cope with their trauma, I suppose. 

I gently smile brightly. "Thank you, Kuma. You made me feel better about myself and my whole existence..."

"Ah..." Kuma widens her eyes in shock.

"I was wondering if my emotions have gotten the better of me and if my heart tells me lies. It says one thing and then another. It's like I'm having a midlife crisis. I have always been an overthinker. It's why I sometimes cling to Tao at the simple things. That part of me may not change, but I know I can do something to calm myself down. I sometimes wish I was as strong as you, smart as Tao, or crafty like Jir. I'm just a plain guy whose only good use is his heart. And the only good thing about me is that I don't think negatively in serious matters unless Tao is in danger. Even that is a major flaw of mine. But...I'll keep fighting with you all. I won't back down or be left behind. I'll keep getting stronger and stand by everyone's side."

Yeah. That's right...

I may have my doubts, but I won't give in. I have to stay strong. I have to. If I don't, then who will?

Tao panics when I do. We're best friends, so of course we'll act this way. We're trying our hardest not to turn out this way. But can't you blame us? With that in mind, I still can't believe the founder did that to the organization's people. It's almost as if he was playing his game. If what my heart says is true, then I felt that way when we were talking. It's almost as if I don't trust myself. Doesn't the heart belong to me? Isn't it the function that I SHOULD trust the most? Am I...that protective of Tao?

....Yes.

That's the answer to all of the questions in mind right now.

Even still, I can't give in. I'll ensure it's the right thing and not the wrong.  Someway, somehow....

"Come on, let's visit Jake and the others and then rest for tonight's mission," I say, holding Tao's hand out of instinct.

"O-oh. Right..." Tao slowly nodded and followed me.

To Be Continued...

I'll see you all in the next one. Later.