Strive 134: Expressing Your Thoughts

Kibishi's POV

After giving Kuma water, I sat beside Tao, who offered me her blanket since this place was getting colder. I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think it's a good idea to leave them here like this-the prisoners, I mean.

But-

I don't want us to rush things. The best action is to be patient and plan our next move. After all, they do have blankets for the time being, and as much as I want to take them to a pleasant and warmer place, that will put us all in danger if we're not careful.

"Right," I look at Tao. "Before we start, I would like to confirm something, Tao. How long until the Cetus will return here?"

"Perhaps in an hour or so. Perhaps even a few minutes. We're not certain, but it depends on the hour from the outside world." Tao explained. "How long have we been out here for?" Jir asked. "About 6 hours," Kuma says while looking at her phone. "Not to mention, it's 2 hours before midnight, I think. We got the daily to do in the morning as well, so there's that. Though, I'm not certain since these phones are a bit slower and die faster than the normal ones on the surface." Kuma explains, then turns off her phone.

"So, let's be safe to assume about half an hour," Tao says calmly.

"That's if the time is correct," Jir adds in.

"Well, never mind that for now. How about we start the conversation Kishi wanted to talk about." Tao says while looking at me with a small smile. "Thanks, Tao. But just in case, Kum and Jir, keep an eye on the time so we don't lose track of it. Tao, you ensure that the person doesn't surprise us with anything that may scare us. So, I was hoping you could keep your phone near you at all costs. I'll keep my eyes and ears open if any creatures somehow break into the forcefield."

"Oooh! Sounds like a solid plan, Kibs!" Jir says while smiling at me.

"T-thanks. But give credit to Tao here. She gave the idea of putting jobs for each of us, and all I did was think of ways to help out on that factor." I said.

"Modest as usual," Kuma commented.

"Seriously, Kib, give yourself credit. I'm sure you're the one who started the fire on that, right? After all, you're the only one who remains calm and cool even after all the scary stuff that happened tonight." Jir says, praising me on something I don't deserve credit for.

"I'm serious," I said.

"Okay, okay, we believe you, Kibi. kind of." Kuma commented.

"What?" I frown.

"Anyway, I'm starting to feel the temperature dropping, so let's discuss this and continue exploring, Kishi. I don't want to freeze to death before we finish the mission." Tao mentions while leaning on me to keep herself warm.

"Right," I nod.

I give Tao the blanket and put on a severe expression. "There's something that I wanted to ask all of you. And I want you to answer me honestly."

"Kishi, why did you give me the blanket when-"

"Do you think we're being used as tools? Machines that are only there to build up the human race, while some of us might end up dead. Do you think that what we're fighting for may be a lie?" I say in a deep tone.

"..." The three girls turn silent at my question.

"Course, this is just me ranting, but I don't know what to do anymore. Tonight has been a strange one. Not only that, but we're also all struggling on the SECOND layer. Imagine the rest with even stronger monsters? If we keep this up, some of us might end up dead. And I don't want that to happen." I rub my necklace. "So, do you think we're just tools? That is my question for you all."