The Lady Who Painted The Stars

The stars always were told to have pictures if you connected a certain group, constellations... the most popular and well heard being the zodiacs. But how did the stars come together to create such pictures? People will say its just luck. That those stars were born in a specific way that we, the people of Earth, can see art in them. But what if something else was behind it? What if someone else was behind it? There is one constellation only visible to the moon, the celestial beings friend...

Alhena.

Alhena was a more enclosed girl, kept up in a library reading about the stars. It was said by the village folk that she had loved them because of her name. The name Alhena's origins are Arabic, its a Muslim name that means a star in Geminis constellation.

In this period of life, the stars were myths, said to have been a sign that the gods were to come to Earth and punish the mortals. Alhena had seen depictions of stars in the many of books she had read, and never believed in such words. One night she prayed to the long forgotten Goddess of the moon, Amalthea, for her to bestow the stars on them. To show the ones of who had lost their faith their beauty.

Amalthea had heard her calls and brought her up to join her in the heavens, showing her the dark canvas of the night skies. She explained that in a fit of anger, during a fight they had, the God of the light Oran had taken the stars away eons ago. Saying that she had lost her love of the light and she didn't deserve such privileges. And then she had asked the unexpected...

"My child of the mortal realm. You seem to like the stars as much as I once have"

"I do"

"You believe in such that it brings beauty to the pitch black of the night."

"Yes"

"Oran has seen this of you. He has seen your love for it unlike the rest of you that walks about in your world"

"He has?"

"Indeed. He wants you to bring it back. I will show you too him and he will give you the power to do so"

"Thank you"

Alhena was brought to the sun. Oran had given her the gift of light, letting her obtain a small ink bottle full of a bright white liquid and a feather. She ran around the endless void, spreading dots of the glittering ink. Making pictures to fill her childish desire. Once she had gotten tired, Oran and Amalthea had sent her right back to bed with the feather and ink.

The night after that people were stunned at the sight they withhold. They believed they were to be brought to their demise, when Alhena had explained. They hadn't believed her. She decided to show them the ink and feather, but they raged at her. They thought she was the reason the gods were to punish them, that she had used witchcraft to create such depictions in the sky. She tried to reason but it had fallen under deaf ears and she was sentenced to death, burned at the steak holding her gift...

Alhenas story was never told, the village folk wanting to forget about how such a child was forced into using such dark magic. They passed the stars off as Orans doing, although always reminded of the poor kid.

But somewhere behind the moon a new Goddess and an old Goddess talk about the unfairness of the world...

and how beautiful the stars were that night...