Chapter VIII: The Charmers

"Tell me, ladies, which of us do you think has captured, or rather, charmed Mr. Lambert's heart?"

This enquiry came with feminine relish from Ellyn Poe one afternoon as the women rested outdoors after an afternoon walk along the Idleworth property. Her gay laughter trilled the air with musical notes.

"What's the matter Alice? You look quite shaken. You've no need to worry, sweet girl. There's an even playing field for all of us. Intimidation must never be betrayed to the enemy, you know."

"I assure you, I am not intimidated in the least, Ellyn," said Miss Flynn, casting her a frown. "Why should I be? He has a right to choose the girl he likes best as any other gentleman. He is the Wade Lambert after all-that certainly means something, doesn't it?"

Alice Flynn often spoke freely to Ellyn Poe as she considered the woman an ally and equal of sorts. The same could not be said regarding Miss Brightley, who spent her days in silence with her nose in a book or her mind travelling to intellectual places Miss Flynn dared not wander for fear of getting lost or consumed.

Ellyn examined the basket of goods a servant brought from the house with interest.

"Yes, I suppose that's fair... he could choose any of us. After all, we each have something within our feminine selves to offer that restless man."

She plopped a dainty cream puff into her mouth, closing her eyes to savour the delicate pastry.

"My family would be quite happy if the match happened between Mr. Lambert and myself. Mother was anxious I'd consider marriage beneath me, but I never thought such a thing! Nothing can change my nature, not even a husband or the duties that come with married life. There shall never be a dull day with me where my husband's concerned."

Alice watched her companion with fascination. How she wished it were as easy for her to express her feelings in words! Perhaps people could understand her better if she did, but alas! She was no dimple-faced Ellyn Poe who lived to be remembered and understood. Ellyn was pretty, confident, and daring in Alice's eyes, reminding her very much of an old childhood friend. What she would give to possess such determination and wit, especially since she overheard Lori say how much Wade admired Miss Poe's fiery and adventurous spirit. Did he admire anything of her own spirit? she wondered.

Miss Poe examined the remaining puffs with a thoughtful air.

"But I cannot forget there are three of us vying for his attention and affection. Miss Brightley, which cream puff will you have? Lemon, berry or chocolate?"

Miss Brightley, absorbed in a leather-bound book, said after a moment, "Chocolate, if you'd be so kind, Miss Poe."

Alice huffed under her breath. Miss Poe's inquiry, in Alice's opinion, deserved the utmost respect and attention! For that young Brightley girl to not even spare her a glance! Why, she was beside herself! Who did this white-dress girl from Curds think she was?

"I will have the berry filled one, Ellyn, thank you. And to add to what you were saying earlier concerning Mr. Lambert, I do hope that whomever he chooses has the decency to give him her attention and affection and also to remember her manners in the eyes of society."

Miss Brightley, to the utter annoyance of Alice Flynn, made no comment or expression that showed she cared or even acknowledged the slight intended for her. She only, in a cool, levelled grace, accepted the delicacy offered by Miss Poe while studying her book and smiling at one particular entry.

Miss Alice spun on her heels and stared out over the lake.

She couldn't bear this girl with her high country ways and rude behaviour. She hadn't an ounce of decency! Was it possible that Wade Lambert fancied this cold creature? Her? Honestly! She'd even witnessed him advising her on a book she might enjoy! He'd said he hated books that day at the races! It made her miserable to hear all the good things Lori said about the Brightley girl day in and day out. Why, she could brush and braid Lori's hair just as well! (Though she never did attempt it since she found the girl a trifle intimidating) Mrs. Lambert, though she tried not to show favouritism, liked her very well-she knew by instinct! And Miss Alice Flynn always trusted her womanly intuition.

"What of you Miss Brightley?"

Those cold grey eyes climbed above her book.

"Miss Poe?"

Ellyn smiled as her fingers hovered over the fruit basket.

"What is your opinion of Mr. Wade Lambert?"

Miss Brightley seldom participated in these 'open topics', especially where the Lamberts were concerned. And it isn't that she hadn't an opinion (Lisabeth would argue that point expressively!), she just rarely voiced them. Lori, who'd have enlightened anyone that asked, had put forth the question as promptly as only Lori Lambert could have.

"Because one learns much of people and their situations by observing. Now, how about some practise on the piano? I'll play first..." and Miss Brightley, to Lori's delight, had struck up a cheerful tune that wouldn't have been allowed otherwise.

Miss Brightley set aside her book, marking her page with a blade of grass.

"For once in his life, Wade Lambert is indecisive."

"What nonsense!" cried Alice, having recovered from the shock of hearing her speak. "Mr. Lambert could never be indecisive and you know it! How dare you open your mouth to say such a thing?"

Miss Brightley tilted her head as she watched Alice.

"It would be wrong to say I did not understand your reaction, though I cannot share in it. It is your infatuation with him that retards your honest opinion of the young man."

She waved a slender hand at Alice's flushed face.

"I've seen it before with my sister. She was so obsessed with one of her past admirers she never noticed his callous and cruel nature. There was also another that cared only for her money since he was taken to gambling. Thankfully, father got her out of those foolish fancies."

"You're not implying Mr. Lambert to be any of those things, are you?" Miss Alice's tone took on a challenging note.

"Not at all Miss Flynn. I merely mean to say I take Mr. Lambert to be one of those few people who knows what they want on an intuitive level. An inner calling, shall we say? He hesitates because he's not felt it, and this bothers him."

During this exchange, both Alice and Ellyn stared in shock and alertness, absorbing the intellectual theories of this reserved woman whose tone was never mocking, degrading, or pompous, as many might have imagined it to be. There was a delicate thoughtfulness to her tone, though her cool gaze may have betrayed something more intense to an experienced observer.

Ellyn, recovering also, said with contemplative curiosity, which was new for her,

"So, you mean to say you're not in love with Wade Lambert?"

This had quite an effect on Miss Brightley, who, to the shock of her audience, let out a gale of laughter that would attract the eyes of anyone within the vicinity. There was a sparkling gleam in her eyes and her smile (Alice grudgingly had to admit) was strikingly beautiful. But the moment passed as quickly as it came and Miss Brightley was more composed than ever.

"How freely does one toss around that word, love."

She shook her head, adjusting the folds of her dress.

"Consider this as honest a response as I can give at present, Miss Poe, Miss Flynn."

The women leaned forward as though sharing some grave secret. One can consider it such, since Miss Brightley never engaged them in any kind of conversation until now and we ladies can agree (that is if you, dear reader, identify as such considering my nephew may be reading this as well) there's nothing quite like being in on some secret among our sisters.

"Falling in love has never been a habit or practise of mine. I do not say it is an impossibility, but I've yet to experience it personally. If I do, however," and here, she granted them something resembling a smile, "I shall let you know."

Satisfied she'd given the two something to ponder, Miss Brightley dismissed them both with a nod and returned her thoughts to the leather-bound book she'd been reading.

Both Alice and Ellyn exchanged looks before engaging in small talk in which none of them took thorough interest; it was the effect Lisabeth declared her sister had on people and they glanced now and then towards Miss Brightley, both unsure how they felt about this dark-haired woman dressed in pearly white..