Chapter XXI: The Patient's Wish

A rainbow of moving colours painted the floor as women sashayed across the expansive hall, their flounces bobbing with pride as they sent messages to the men with their elegant fans. The smell of turpentine, smouldering pipes, and roast pig filled the air, and Lisabeth inhaled the aroma with a giggle that tempted a smile from her sister. Mr. and Mrs. Lambert entertained a flamboyant looking couple before greeting a pair of important looking gentlemen in identical waistcoats. Lori floated between them, her dazzling smile winning hearts and hands alike, as she occasionally shot a glare at an older boy who stared at her from the punch table with an elderly woman at his side.

"There's Alice, Idrie! Doesn't she look stunning? By the suns that is an enchanting shade of blue! That dress must have cost a fortune! She and Mrs. Lambert are worthy competitors. Though, I daresay, I'd turn heads if I dared to wear mother's dress."

Idrielle Brightley covered her mouth with a slender gloved hand.

"You mean the scandalous red one she wore to seduce Father?"

"The very one, Idrie," replied her sister with conspiratorial eyes. "Remember how she said her gypsy seamstress and best friend made it for her? There might be some magic in it yet."

Miss Brightley burst into laughter causing a few heads looked up at the balustrade in search of the enchanting sound. Lizzy would have been celebrated as the star of the evening regardless of the cost of her dress, and there was no doubt about it. Idrielle knew her sister's vibrant energy attracted the gentlemen much like ants to a cube of sugar. Few who were familiar with the family would dare to deny it, be it adversary or ally.

Overcoming her outburst and suddenly feeling somewhat self-conscious about her bare shoulders, Idrielle smirked before saying,

"She's attracted quite a few admirers, it appears."

Near the banquet table (where Lori now lurked while keeping a devoted eye on her mother), Alice Flynn and a taller young man (who could only be her brother with that head of tossy chocolate curls, Lisabeth decided aloud), stood in the company of five attractive gentlemen. Alice's confidence climbed furthermore when Ellyn Poe, encapsuled in a dainty soft yellow gown, her lovely gold tresses coiled about her head, joined her circle, earning laughs and approving looks with her playful wit and fluttering lashes.

But Alice's night reached its peak when she caught Wade Lambert's attentive gaze. He stood apart from the crowd near the entrance with another man—Who? She didn't care—she only saw Wade Lambert's playful eyes and as he moved in her direction (she'd lost focus on whatever Ellyn was saying just then!) her heart gave a fluttery jolt. Muttering an apology, she moved towards him, admiring his crisp, midnight green tailcoat, starched white cravat, and polished boots. The wispy white peony peeking from his pocket added an innocent charm to his attire. When he offered his arm with a polite, "May I have this dance, Miss Flynn?" that undisciplined lock of hair falling into his face as he looked down at her, she felt lighter than leaves on the wind.

It is safe to say, dear reader, that our Alice Flynn was the happiest woman at Idleworth that evening.

"It was thoughtful of you to encourage him to dance with Alice, Lizzy," said Miss Brightley as the two watched the dancing crowd twirl and glide about the floor below. "Though I wonder if she'll not be upset when she realises he means to ask Miss Poe for the next one."

"She'll be fine for a while after this. Some people simply wish to be first at something—anything. Such individuals can feed off of that joy for memories to come, such as Miss Flynn."

They both turned as the doctor, having traded his usual black frock coat for a fine evening suit, his shoulder length hair swept from his face and resting upon his shoulders, came towards them, leading Lori by the hand.

"We were worried you wouldn't come, doctor Garin," said Lisabeth surveying him with a winsome smile. "And I might add you look quite dashing this evening."

"I told him how handsome he looks too!" said Lori, unwilling to have her earlier praise forgotten so soon.

Garin accepted their compliments with a bow and a fond smile for little Miss Lambert.

"Thank you, Miss Brightley. You are too kind. It's a pity that both of you stay here when everyone would be equally awed by your beauty."

And the doctor allowed himself an unabashed moment to overlook their attires.

Lisabeth giggled while her sister looked away to hide a fleeting smile.

"I can't go down and must admit that is rather unfortunate. But Lori promised to bring me treats now and then and Idrie's made me swear to tell her when I'm tired."

She looked over the expansive room with sparkling eyes of delight.

"But how can one tire of music, merry laughter, and delicious delicacies? It's everything I adore! All things considered, I am bound to have a wonderful time."

She offered the doctor an indulgent grin.

"And no, you cannot check my temperature. I'm fine."

He humoured her with a smile.

"Of course, Miss Brightley. If there's anything I can do, anything at all, to enhance your evening, I must beseech you to let me know."

"Really, you are too pleasant, Doctor Garin. I confess there is one thing I'm certain you can help me with..."

"Ask away, my dear."

Miss Brightley did not like the look that came to Lisabeth's eyes.

She knew that look.

"Please ask Idrie to dance. I'm worried she'll stay here all evening if you don't and Daddy hasn't arrived yet—quite like him to be late."

Caught by surprise at her request, both the Garin and Miss Brightley stared at her. The doctor, first to regain his composure, granted her an obliging smile.

"It would be my pleasure. Would you do me the honour, Miss Brightley?"

"Well, I..." she received a glare from both Lori and her sister. "Er... yes... Yes, of course."

"Garin's an exemplatory dancer, Idrie!" called an expressive Lori as Garin led his charge down the staircase.

"The word is exemplary, precious girl," corrected a patient Lisabeth Brighltey.

"He'll even let you stand on his feet and won't laugh and tease like Wade does!"

For some reason, this brought a laugh from Miss Brightley, who thought her corset a tad tighter than before...

"A more outgoing child I've yet to meet," said Garin with a flash of humour in his twinkling eyes. "I'm still undecided as to which is more engaging: our dear Lori Lambert or my nephews, Petr and Anton Varvarinsky."

"Nephews? Why, you've never mentioned—"

Garin's brilliant gaze, appearing brighter with the hundreds of flickering candles, met hers as he caught her about the waist.

"And you never enquired," and without further warning, he swept her off among the crowd, her shimmering swirls of white like a snowy dandelion among multicoloured tulips.

____________________________________________

Being on the prowl for gossip and juicy news can sometimes be draining on one's constitution.

However, it is my sworn duty to peep through keyholes and hide in oversized armoires! What a day!

(Sense my sarcasm, mate 😒)

Perks, you may ask?

These strawberry tarts are utterly divine!

Almost forgot! If you're still with us:

Don't forget to VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!!