Chapter XIII: Familiar Visitors

Lori jumped to her feet. 

"Hurray! All of my favourite people are here. If only Wade would come home..."

Mrs. Lambert turned to the butler.

"Of course, Foster, you needn't announce him," and turning to Miss Brightley, "He's quite a dear soul, our doctor Garin. Doctor Willis recommended him many years ago; ever since he helped Lori recover from typhoid, he's been practically part of the family. He came down from London and bought the old house from the late Edward Thompson and redid the place into something rather charming.  Leases the rooms now and everyone considers him a fair and pleasant landlord. Though hesitant at first, him being a foreigner and all, Harwickshire's grown rather fond of him now—Ah, Garin, my dear, how are you?"

The doctor, hat in hand, bowed before giving Lori a familiar smirk.

"Wonderfully well, Mrs. Lambert. Miss Lori... Miss Brightley."

"I'm pleasantly surprised you've called on us so early in the day—Foster, inform Mr. Lambert of the doctor's arrival. He's in the study."

"I have just called on Sir Dinkins, whom you may remember suffers a mild case of arthritis. And as I was heading to Mrs. Foyle—dear woman insists this time she does have a fever if not some other debilitating disease—I thought I'd call on my way down."

"Well, you are more than welcome, you know that. Wade hasn't arrived just yet, I'm afraid. Is that so? Well, it is like him to come by the latest train. I do appreciate your coming to inform me of his plans. A shame you haven't gone with him, but I understand you have your own work to manage. I'm sure you recollect Miss Brightley?"

Miss Brightley, who'd been following the animated conversation, arose and curtsied, receiving another half bow from the doctor.

"I see you've kept your word to Lori. She was very disappointed when you left—even frequent rides and rabbits failed to cheer her."

"He's absolutely right, Idrie," said Lori, who'd rushed to cling to his side when he'd entered. "It was drastically and morbidly lonely here without you and when he left for Cairnes, it was more painful than the time I broke my arm."

Miss Brightley and the doctor exchanged discreet smiles. And well they should! For Miss Lambert did not appreciate one not taking her woeful situations to heart as much as she did.

"I hope you behaved well in our absence, Lori. You remember what I've told you about governesses?"

"Yes, yes, I did my tryingest best. I had to read hymns for two hours each day when Mama took me to visit Aunt Constance! And I had to walk with her in a heavy black hat and collar when we visited Uncle Hubert's grave. She bade me stand straight as a lamppost at all times and I took the vow of silence on Sunday."

She withheld the fact that, having disappeared from Aunt Constance's gloomy house when the woman dozed, she'd spent cheerful hours with the old neighbour, Mr. Cullen, who enjoyed idle chatter as much as herself.

Mrs. Lambert narrowed her eyes at her child.

"Lori! It is rude of you to search the doctor's pockets."

Garin's amused smile changed to a cheerful laugh.

"It's quite alright Mrs. Lambert. I promised to bring her sweets for some time now and often forget to hand them over. Children are far from forgetful when it comes to promises."

"Still, I disapprove of such behaviour on her part and forbid you to encourage it."

"Mama always disapproves of something I do, Garin, as you're well aware," said Lori, unwrapping the sweet mint she retrieved from the doctor's coat pocket. "She says Daddy and Wade spoil me and she worries you'll do the same."

"Is that so? And do you agree with your mother?"

The girl shrugged.

"Hmm, that doesn't reassure me, Lori. So, I reckon you ought to take special care to change her opinion of you, wouldn't you agree?"

The child, to Miss Brightley's amusement, stared at the extra mint he offered, battling some inner thoughts before nodding and taking the proffered treat.

Garin's smile was a satisfied one.

Mrs. Lambert shook her head, the corners of her lips turning upward. She set her daughter's abandoned teacup onto its matching saucer.

"Miss Brightley has accepted an invitation to the autumn ball we're hosting here at Idleworth. And an invitation is always extended to you as well, Garin."

Foster reappeared and informed Garin that Mr. Lambert was waiting to receive him in his study. With another gallant bow (for he did make quite extraordinary bows), he followed Foster with Lori hanging onto his arm.

Mrs. Lambert's trailing gaze followed the pair.

"She grows frightfully fond of everyone, my Lori. She and Garin became fast friends during her illness as a baby... Children need people and I hate to think she might've been lonely."

She gave a humourless laugh.

"I'm not nearly as young as I look and possess far less patience than Raymond, bless his heart! I'm almost certain Lori's energetic ways come from his side of the family."

She shook her head, gazing about the room.

"There aren't many children in the family and the few we do have only visit during the holidays and Lori doesn't find them the least interesting. The child prefers the company of grown-ups! "

Miss Brightley's nod was slow, her gaze thoughtful.

"Lori does not strike me as a child suffering from loneliness. She has her brother and has proven to be very fond of him."

Mrs. Lambert gave a delicate tut, before holding up her cup.

"Fondness never does one well if the object of that adoration does nothing to improve one's character. Although Wade possesses many qualities and attributes worthy of him, such an untamed child as Lori requires a firm hand to guide her; a sensible shoulder to lean against in times of hardship, as I imagine she'll have many."

And here she gave Miss Brightley a significant look.

Mr. Lambert entered the parlour with the doctor and Lori following.

"It appears we'll have quite the party Mrs. Lambert; Garin has informed me that Sir Layman Critch will be settling at his estate in Curds. We simply must extend him an invitation, don't you agree?"

Mrs. Lambert could not sensibly express the necessity of inviting such an esteemed personage to Idleworth Manor and could only, in good grace, nod to Foster, who understood his master and mistress better than they gave him credit. And once the list of important guests was through and Garin had taken his leave to call upon an agitated Mrs. Foyle, Mrs. Lambert took a moment to herself to dab the threatening tears from her eyes. But there would never be peace as long as a mischievous nine-year-old roamed the halls at Idleworth, and Lori startled the woman by springing from a nearby linen closet before tearing across the yard when her mother called her by her full name in a tone reeked of venom.

____________________________________________

Eureka! What a glorious scoop! A ball indeed! (Though I've already mentioned that bit--but by golly!)

Mrs. Lambert appears to have set her hopes on the silent Idrielle Brighltey... Unusual choice, I'd say. Certainly Miss Poe and Miss Flynn are far more entertaining!

(I can't shake the feeling that Florence Delia Lambert is looking for someone as close to herself as possible!)

The writer of this tale, (the daft dimbo) insists I keep my opinions to myself and state only the facts.

That stiff wonker! 😠

I must prepare for Mr. Wade Lambert's re-entry at Idleworth before my reputation goes down in shambles.

And will Lori ever learn to behave?!

In the meantime, cast a VOTE my way, please.