Chapter XIV: A Tangle of Nerves

Wade Lambert was not entirely sure how he felt when Lori informed him that Miss Brightley was at Idleworth when he returned the following afternoon. He'd entered the house in his usual fashion (through the window of his father's study, as was his way since a boy) and met his freckled-faced sister going through the forbidden china cabinet. She gave him a steely glare when he looked over her shoulder.

"You're late. And if you tell on me, Wade, I'll let Mama know you were out gambling with Mr. Dinkins' monkey-faced nephew before you went away."

Wade, scanning the room with a lazy gaze, gave a slow nod. He couldn't help feeling amused at his sister's opinion of a man she's only glimpsed from a distance and impressed at her attempt to blackmail him.

"Sounds fair, Turnip. But I'm afraid even then I've got the upper hand."

"And what's that?" said Lori, just as she took out a delicate blue elephant and its matching baby.

Wade leaned down to her level and said in a whisper.

"I know you broke Mummy's favourite vase, the one from cousin Beatrice and her husband."

The culprit sprang to her feet with a start, miraculously avoiding the porcelain elephants. She gave him the impression of a cat, as she seemed to 'bristle' at him with flaring little nostrils.

"I didn't! And even if I did, you can't prove it!"

Wade offered her a slow, somewhat relishing smile.

"Can't I now? I'm pretty sure I witnessed it after you'd pilfered extra crisp cakes and strawberry tarts from Ruth's kitchen when Aunt Betty came to visit-"

Lori, acknowledging her defeat, blew air through her nose and cast her brother a dirty look before returning the china elephants to their cupboard, locking it and placing the key in his outstretched hand.

"Now do me a favour, Turnip, and stay out of trouble for a while."

She turned up her nose and moved towards the wide outswing window. Her foot paused on the low footstool and she cast her brother a mischievous look.

"Idrie's somewhere about the house, and I've told her loads of things about you since she came. She was curious, you see, and I simply couldn't refuse her."

And with an impish half-smile, she grabbed the hem of her dress and disappeared through the window.

"Be sure to come in before the rain," he managed to say at last, trying (without success) to ignore the unpleasant feeling in the pit of his stomach.

The sky had turned a murky grey with angry black clouds lurking in the distance while the wind hummed a sardonic, choppy tune. And glimpsing the dangerous-looking sky once more, he turned, leaving his coat on the armchair, and wandered through the halls, nodding to the servants that greeted him as he went.

In the wide, gleaming kitchen where glinting brass pots and pans loomed dangerously above and the surfaces sparkled bright enough to disturb one's eyesight, Ruth and the staff were preparing a surprise supper on his behalf.

"So master Wade's returned, has he?" said the buxom Ruth with more than her usual cheer (a rarity which, mind you, was more than welcomed by the family). "Your mother wanted to surprise you and has just gone to take her nap. Mr. Lambert has gone out with Mr. Davies, sir, but promised he'd be in time for dinner."

"And," Wade cleared his throat, "what-what of Miss Brightley? Lori says she's at the house."

"Yes, sir, she is," she said, glowing with the importance of someone in the know of things. "Anne says she's down in the garden with a book."

"Has she had tea yet?"

"Yes, sir," she said with a gleam in her heavy-lidded eyes. "Not too long ago, she and Miss Lori had their tea and biscuits. I'll send out something for you in a wee bit."

Wade left the kitchen and wandered towards the doors leading to the garden. Imagine his surprise when the ever cool headed Miss Brightley stumbled into him in her haste to get indoors.

"Mr. Lambert!"

The high-pitched shriek was quite unlike her and how she twisted her fingers made him knit his brows together. She was beyond nervous, he decided, but before he could ask anything, she collected herself with some effort.

"Forgive my clumsiness, Mr. Lambert. I'm distressed and I don't know what to do! I just hope she hasn't set out after all, but it isn't likely. She's always been one to just do without sensibly considering the conditions!"

"Miss Brightley, what on earth is the matter?"

With trembling hands, she handed him a letter. His eyes tore across the delicate, slanted writing before meeting her distraught gaze.

"It is your sister, I presume? But she only states she'll be a day earlier than expected. What do you-?"

"Oh, Mr. Lambert, you do not know my Lizzy! She can be reckless at times-especially where I'm concerned. It must be pouring back home and she said she'd be here by tea time today. Which means she must have decided to ride all this way!-her things arrived yesterday."

She glanced about the room with an imploring look, then went on in a hurry.

"Though Lisabeth loves to get on horseback, she is not the better rider of the two of us and in this weather... " She trailed off and waved a weak hand towards the sky, which had turned a nasty ashen colour. "I don't want to think something's happened but, oh! It's so dark outside and it's getting late."

"Certainly your father would not have agreed to let her go in this weather," said Wade. "I'm sure she must be at home penning you another letter as we speak."

His choice of words seemed to soothe her somewhat since she, after pondering this, gave a vague nod. He suggested tea and sent her to the parlour and only afterward bellowed for his sister, who screamed in childish delight as the turbulent wind tugged at her hair and dress as she danced upon the lawn. Ordering Foster to keep the child put, he rushed to his father's study, collected his coat and disappeared outdoors.

____________________________________________

A little birdie sent words that someone's thoroughly enjoying the author's labour of love so far.

Hearts for you, dear...️♥️♥️

Now!

What a troublesome, worrisome, vexing time for Miss B! One can only hope Wade's presumptions regarding her sister are correct.

Speaking of Wade...

What was the meaning of his discomfort at the prospect of meeting Miss B at the house, I wonder?

After all, Wade Lambert does strike me to be the uneasy kind of gentleman...

And what of Ruth's behaviour? Lori's implications?

If you've made it this far, share the story with a friend and don't forget to:

VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!!