Chapter XII : A Joyful Reception

"Idrie's come back Mama! Can you believe it, Foster? I told you she'd keep her promise, didn't I?"

"Certainly, Miss Lori."

It had been two months since Miss Brightley's departure from Idleworth, Miss Flynn and Poe having only left four weeks afterwards, leaving Lori Lambert a creature of despair.

At first, she bore it with courage, and no one would have known Brightley's absence affected her (except Foster, of course). However, her courage left her once Flynn and Poe had said their goodbyes, her wistful gaze following the departing carriage that carried the last of her newfound friends. After this, she threw herself into mourning, completing her melancholic air with her mother's funeral veil and the dead flowers she'd let dry out in the pantry. She then went about the estate with a distressed solemnity not even the cheerful head gardener dared disturb.

When Miss Brightley's letter arrived at Idleworth, Mrs. Lambert gasped as though she'd come up from the sea for air. The sudden changes of her countenance perplexed Lori, who never failed to linger in her mother's presence to sport her downtrodden spirits; the child was now left ponder why the woman was no longer aggravated by her widowed apparel.

With much merriment, the house broke into an uproar as Miss Brightley, looking quite tanned and lovely (as was the expressive opinion of Mrs. Lambert) glided into the drawing room, her airy white dress swirling about her ankles with abandon.

Mrs. Lambert eyed the dark head of coiffed locks, steely eyes and familiarly long nose with a touch of fondness before sweeping across the room to embrace the young woman. Lori, on the other hand, received her friend with a mixture of tears, laughter, and peppery kisses.

"I knew you'd keep your promise. Anne didn't think you would, but I did! Mama, I demand that you relieve Anne of her duties. I no longer require her services."

Mrs. Lambert, had she been in a less agreeable mood, would have made some stern remark, but only dismissed her daughter's words with an elegant wave before drawing Miss Brightley towards the sofa and clasping her slender hands.

"I'm so glad you've visited us again, Miss Brightley. Your absence simply devastated Lori, didn't it, dear?"

Lori responded with a sniffling nod, which Miss Brightley graced with a tender look.

"I'm sincerely touched, Lori and I daresay I've missed you too."

Mrs. Lambert beamed at the two before rising and taking the younger woman by the hand.

"We've been redecorating-a seasonal affair I find comforting, and Raymond doesn't mind in the slightest. Perhaps you'd care to have a look...?"

Mrs. Lambert, acknowledging the potential regret if her son failed to appreciate the stunning lady accompanying her, escorted her guest through the spacious rooms, with Lori skipping along. She showed Miss Brightley the changes made since her last visit, impressed by the younger woman's ability to offer compliments, make appropriate inquiries, and provide insightful opinions when enquired.

"We're hosting an autumn ball this year-it's been a long time since Idleworth has hosted something grand. Why, Lori must've been in her second year."

"And I couldn't even taste any of Ruth's sweet and white things then," said Lori with a frown at her mother.

Mrs. Lambert ushered her daughter ahead as they wandered down a wider corridor before re-entering the parlour, where Foster had laid out the tea. Her lip twitched when Lori settled on the floor near Miss Brightley knees and, with a soft sigh, she forced herself to focus on her guest.

"I'd be delighted if your family accepted an invitation."

For a while, Miss Brightley caressed Lori's ringlets with a faraway glint in her sad eyes.