3🐾 New Dogs

Gypsy was galloping towards the rising sun when she finally smelled the first trace of dog. She had traveled for a day and then some, after escaping the shelter.

The white Pitbull perked up her ears as she caught the distinct scent of three dogs. Just enough to make a pack. She sped up until her paws were pounding against the earth, flinging dirt behind her as she ran.

The dog-scent grew stronger as Gypsy crossed a road, narrowly missing a car that screeched as it swerved around her. With a careless sideways glance, the female slowed.

She could see bodies moving between the trees. The distinctive four-legged canines were blurred and obscured by the thick trees surrounding them, but from up on the hill Gypsy could still clearly tell there was at least two of them down there. And a big, shining lake right in the middle of the copse of treeland.

With a deep breath of calm authority over herself, the Pittie walked down the hill and into the trees.

Is it wrong to approach them outright? Will they attack or run away, or just... welcome me?

The Pitbull had hardly interacted with dogs other than Ace and her long lost mate. Of course she had always been interested, but leashed life didn't offer the chance to meet any new dogs. Her owners hadn't been Dog Park or day-care people, either.

So Gypsy found her tail wagging, and an impeccable hope that nothing would go wrong while meeting these new dogs.

The morning sun was beating down on two large-breeds when Gypsy approached. The larger one didn't notice her at first, but the dark one whipped around and exploded into a flurry of barks.

"Who are YOU?" The tall black dog was another female. She looked Gypsy up and down distastefully, a tiny white smear on her chest being the brightest thing about her.

"My name's Gypsy, and I want to join this pack."

"Ha!" The black female sneered. Her curved muzzle showed pearly white teeth beneath. "As if you could call this a-"

"Hello, Gypsy. We welcome you."

The female dog was forced aside as her larger companion brushed past her. Her eyes flashed with jealousy and spite, but Gypsy was too busy taking in the new dog to notice.

She'd never seen a dog with such thick fur. Even a husky was incomparable to this male's pelt. He was golden-brown with a white chest and muzzle. His darker-tipped ears hung on the sides of his face and were triangular, whilst Gypsy's were upright and and boomerang-shaped.

His feathered tail, full of burrs, whisked back and forth in a slow wag. The male's voice was deep and charming, like the calmest of river waters. His brown eyes were pools of soft bark, and he had a heft in his step as he walked- proving to Gypsy that his weight wasn't all just fur.

"I've never seen a dog as big as you before," Gypsy commented without thinking. The jet-black female looked pointedly at the brown one, as if expecting him to scold Gypsy for that. However, when he just laughed, her eyes grew twice their size. With a huff, she turned away.

"Well, that's North. She's a bit prickly but ultimately, it's my decision if you can join- since I'm the leader. And I say.... yes." The male winked.

He'd sounded a bit boastful as he spoke, and lifted his head proudly. Gypsy's tail wagged in appreciation. This is so exciting!

"Thank you! How many other dogs are there? I saw a third under the trees from the hilltop." Her tongue flopped out in a grin.

"Just us, North's puppies and my gran-dog. He's been around since before the trees were here, though....so he hardly counts." The shade flung patterns across his back, distorted by the light-filtering leave above.