18 🐾 Don't be Selfish

"Why do you need an army of daughters and mates, Bronx? Is there a reason to all of this?" The young pitbull growled from her spot against the den wall, repeating Ghost's question.

"The more dogs I have, the more I can drive away other males looking for the same thing I want," he growled back.

"A broad bloodline, all the she-dogs I could want and an easy-to roam territory. This place is perfect, even in cold season. All I have to do is keep it this way, and find more females."

"It's perfect for you," Gypsy spat in argumentized tones. "I'm sure North doesn't like it as much as she says she does. You've killed how many of her pups by now?"

Mischievously, the huge livestock guardian dog turned his head. "North will do whatever I say for another litter of pups. Another pup like Lavender," he commented haughtily.

He's lost it. He thinks he can control anything. Any outcome. And he'll kill whoever it takes. Gypsy began to realize what a lost cause her mate was. What a hopeless, repulsive liar looked like.

I'm only sorry I was too inane to notice it before.

Bronx was smiling as if he were a genius, wagging his dirty tail against the earth with a few confident taps.

He told me that he was just helping North, not fathering her pups the whole time... he really has lied to me since the first day I got here.

That's why he was so welcoming. And North acted... strange but didn't interfere. She's know his true intentions the entire time.

"I left the humans because I wanted to be safe. Because I wanted a second litter of pups, and for them to be safe. I wanted a second chance, Bronx. But you don't know that... that I've been through this before." Tears were stinging her eyes, and she swiped them away with a paw to better see.

"And you killed one of them!" Heart in her throat, she leaped up with her injured leg lifted off the ground. He planned to kill all of my male pups. The realization hit her like a bucket of ice water. Suddenly, the den was no longer warm. It was no longer dark. Ghost leaned forward, his light flickering in the den like a candle in hell.

Gypsy shook with both rage and terror. She knew she had to flee. Bronx would end up killing her last pup, and any remnants of trust they had between them had now been shattered.

Ghost's grim, human-y face was set in a repulsed frown. Powerful condescending eyes befell upon Bronx's sitting, hunched form.

And yet her mate held no remorse. And he saw no Ghost, staring down at Gypsy with a stiff and poised figure as if wondering what she might do.

"I'm leaving. I'll never come back."

At that, Bronx leaped forward with his fur bristling along his spine. The hulking male looked ferocious, spittle gathering at his lips as he opened them to expose his yellowed fangs.

"You'll have to kill me to stop me. And I think you've done well enough of that," she snarled in a retort and stood her ground. Gypsy's tail stood out, stiff and unmoving as she slightly recoiled from Bronx's outstretched teeth.

However, the male dog paused. He looked towards the ground, then over at her defensive posture and laughed.

"You're wrong, dear. The killing is never done in order to get what you want. After all, thats why you left Ace in that shelter to die. For your own freedom." His eyes were now pinned upon her, and Ghost gave a snarky grunt of disbelief as he watched it all unfold.