And She's A Country Cat

"Brooklyn?"

 Brook jumped at the voice behind her. "Oh, hi Moss." Brook replied, looking down at her lap.

 "Why aren't you asleep? Everyone else is."

 Moss sat down next to Brook, who was sitting in the sit-in window. "Just, thinking. I feel bad for..." 

"Jace?" 

"Yeah.."

 They both sat in silence for a few seconds before Brook spoke up; "I hope he's okay..."

 Moss looked over at her and patted her face. "Are you shoosh-papping me right now?" Brook asked, looking over at them. "Shoooosh" Moss muttered.

"Alright, 'Karkat', get off me." Brook giggled.

 A few months ago Moss forced Brook to sit down and read Homestuck with them, and needless to say, Brook actually really enjoyed it.

 "I'm going to bed now. Night." Moss said before walking away.

 "Night."

 Brook sat there, looking out the window before seeing someones reflection.

 "Oh, hey Jace. How are you doing?" Brook asked, looking at him.

 "Fine... Did Kaylie wake up?" Jace asked, sitting next to her.

 "No, Moss just went to bed. Why aren't you asleep?" Brook explained. "Eh, can't sleep. You?" 

"I was actually worried about you.."

 Brook looked at him.

 "Why?" Jace asked. He wasn't exactly used to anyone other than Rice, Charlie, and Kaylie caring for him.

 She grabbed his hand gently.

 "Because no one deserves to go through that.." Brook said, looking worried.

 Jace squeezed her hand. He started tearing up. "I'm sorry you had to deal with all this tonight..." Jace apologized, looking down.

"I've only done this for you." 

"You also dealt with my shift..." He glanced up at her.

 Brook froze.

 "I already told you- that wasn't anything special, I know how you felt." She explained to him.

 "But.. Not even Rice or Charlie would have done that! And I-"

 He was cut off by a hug. Brook had hugged him.

 "Are you okay with this?" She asked, wanting to make sure he wasn't uncomfortable.

 He slowly placed his hands on her back and tried to hold back tears. "Y-yeah..." He quietly responded.

 He closed his eyes, allowing any tears to fall.

 "I just- I should have been there..." Jace mumbled into Brooks shoulder.

 Brook slowly rubbed his back, attempting to comfort him.

 "You couldn't have known it was going to happen and it is not your fault. You ended up keeping her safe and that is all that matters." Brook reassured him.

 After a few seconds of silent hugging they felt two more pairs of arms around them.

 "Hey, Jace..." 

"Hey..." 

They heard two voices say. They looked over and saw Rice and Charlie. They all broke off the hug, and sat down.

 Brook and Jace were in the sit-in window, Charlie was on the closest chair, and Rice was sitting down infront of them.

 "Moss texted us and filled us in, how you feelin'?" Rice asked, leaning forward.

 "Honestly? Not the best..." Jace responded as he leaned against Brook.

 She put her arm around him, feeling terrible for him. Charlie patted his shoulder.

 "Only 2 years. Not even, It's shorter than that."

 "1 year, 7 months, and 4 days. So yeah, not even 2 years." Rice added.

 Charlie and Rice rarely ever disagreed on things and when they did it was usually on stuff like, 'which 90's band is better?'.

 "I really hope it comes fast..." Jace mumbled.

 Brook glanced at him before looking at the other 2 people.

 "Are you guys sleeping here?" Brook asked

. "No, we don't want to be a bother." Charlie waved their hands side to side.

 "You can sleep in my room." Moss was standing in the doorframe, drinking a smoothie.

 "You can use my bed, I sleep on the floor." "No, we really don-" 

"I insist."

 Moss said, taking another sip from their smoothie.

 "If It's okay.." Rice said, looking at Charlie.

 They had a short, silent conversation.

 "Alright, let's go."

 Charlie and Rice stood up.

 "You okay if we go to bed, Jace?"

 Jace nodded and smiled. But, it definitely didn't reach the eyes.  

'''''''

I'm gonna do a re-write on this, but Im gonna finish the og before that. Have a good morning/afternoon/night! Stay safe and healthy<3

Unedited, 695 Words

-Pika