twenty-one

XXI. His Grandmother

AUSTRALIA: September 2023

TWITTER:

➥@letlet: ugh! Why do you guys do donut day when I am not around!

@letlet: ugh! Why do you guys do donut day when I am not around!

     @LIVing: because you eat them all

@fan199: that looks tasty!

@fan88: as an Australian who has come across this bakery, it's actually owned by Oscar's grandmother

     @fan77: wait nana piastre knows Olivia!?

     @fan09: she's the mystery baker according to nana piastri!

Lettie was furious, she didn't realize that would happen to her best friend. She wanted to say something in public but then she was stopped by Liv who told her that she was fine and she was going home anyway.

The model was willing to go home with her but she had already gotten passes for the next races so Liv told her to just stay and that she promises to call every day.

That led Liv to now, she had just hung up the call with Lettie as she arrived at the famous Nana Piastri bakery in Melbourne. She walked to the back where she saw the woman pulling out fresh baked loaves from the oven.

When the woman saw her, she immediately placed the baking pan on the table and rushed to her, "Olivia! You're back." She said as she took off the mitten and hugged her. The girl let out a sigh of relief. She had always found comfort in the woman, seeing her as a mother for all the care and love she was given.

She pulled and the woman sighed, "I heard what happened. I was about to throw hands." Nana Piastri said. Olivia could not help but laugh at her words, "Did Oscar teach you that?"

The two women walked to the corner that the woman would settle in to when there weren't much people out. They sat down and decided to just chat there. Away from prying eyes and ears.

"Yes and no. I know my way around the laptop you know."

Olivia couldn't help but chuckle. She had missed the woman, and as much as she loved being around Oscar, home was always there for her to welcome her back.

She did not realize she had zoned out until the woman patted her hand, "Sorry? I didn't quite catch that." She admitted. The woman smiled, "Just like my Oscy, you are quite the pair I may say."

The woman noted the way the girl's shoulders sagged and the way she pursed her lips. "What's on that mind of yours?" Nana Piastri asked. Olivia sighed, "It was so scary Nana." She admitted.

A frown appeared on the woman's face, "I would imagine so. Oscar was livid when he called. Saying he wanted to skip the next simulator practice to bring you home."

This only made Olivia frown. Oscar was willing to sacrifice his work for her. She didn't want that. The driver was passionate, that was a lifelong dream of his. She didn't want to be in between him and his dream.

It seemed as though the woman read her mind, she chuckled and poked her cheek. Liv looked at her and huffed when she realized that the woman was looking at her with an unimpressed look on her face.

"I know what you're thinking..." Nana Piastri trailed. Olivia sighed, "Your grandson is so good Nana. So pure, so genuine, how can someone like me deserve that?"

The woman sighed, she grabbed the girl's hand and pulled her to the bathroom. There she guided her to look in the mirror. "What do you see?"

"Nana-"

"Uh-uh-uh, just answer the question."

Olivia stood there, staring at herself. At her reflection. She wasn't like the other girls at the paddock. She wasn't a model, she wasn't a known celebrity, she wasn't someone of importance, she was just her.

"Liv, what do you see?" the woman asked again.

The girl let out a breath, "I see a girl. A girl who doesn't have much. A girl with blue eyes and crinkles around her eyes. A girl that loves painting and baking. A girl that isn't known, isn't famous. I see Olivia. Normal Olivia."

"I see someone who has a passion, who is talented, who is understanding, who is humble, who is caring. I see Olivia Flores, the girl who can bake anything, paint anything, forgive even how scary or hurtful something is." The woman said. She then turned Olivia to look at her, she smiled and pushed the hair out of her face.

"You may not be famous, known, or a celebrity, but that's just because you are you. You are your own person. And my Oscar likes you. Not others, you Olivia Flores. Do not doubt that."