Chapter 39

“I'm not sure, but maybe seven years? It's been a while since I've been this young, so I can't really tell for sure.”

“Seven years is not a small number.”

Haha.

Rette only laughed dryly.

“I'm not at the level where I'm worried about that, Herod. It's already been 20 years since I joined Orpheus.”

Every ability carried penalties fitting the ability itself. The penalties followed the keywords of each season, and the keyword for summer was Immaturity.

The more an ability is used, the younger your body becomes.

It was impossible to control the degree of reverse aging, since it was hard to estimate the weight of a prophecy before the words were uttered.

Therefore, many summer users accidentally disclosed prophecies that were too heavy and turned into newborns.

One might ask, if so why don't you just not give any prophecies at all?

If a summer user was unable to control their ability properly, they could deliver unintentional prophecies. And usually, such prophecies weighed heavily and could turn adults into infants instantly.

The first to notice that was Orpheus, the family to which Herod belonged.

When they discovered the summer users' condition, getting younger regardless of their will, the family tried to monopolize the summer users from generation to generation.

“You must know that people like us have to work for Orpheus in order to receive protection. So you're not exactly in a position to whine, are you?”

The summer user's setbacks weren't easy to conceal compared to other seasonal users. In addition, their youth meant they were vulnerable to external risks.

Orpheus had long been in a symbiotic relationship with the summer users, providing them a comfortable life in exchange for their foresight.

Rette surely belonged to Orpheus, because she had been issuing prophecies to find the next summer user before the current summer user lost the power.

Rette looked at Herod in a relaxed manner, shook her head and said.

“I'm not whining! I know my life right now is the best.”

Even though this kind of life wasn't exactly fulfilling.

Rette added that inwardly and wore a lonely expression.

Of course, it was only for a short while. Rette quickly shook off her gloomy countenance and continued.

“Anyway, Herod, the fact that I'm so young must mean I did a great job of getting you closer to her.”

“But you still don't know the process or the result, do you?”

“Yeah, but at least you know that you'll get what you want in the end!”

Ravia Leontine will walk into Herod's hands.

Herod grasped the meaning of Rette's words and raised the corners of his mouth.