Chapter 91

There were some things that could be surmised from the servant’s panicky rambling.

There was a carriage accident on the boulevard. The carriage had Leontine’s insignia on it.

Both the driver and the passenger died on the spot.

Ravia’s body hardened each time the facts were drilled into her head.

No, was she trembling? It almost felt like she could hear the buzzing in her ears. It also felt like the ground had caved in, or that this place was nothing like the mansion she knew.

She couldn’t exactly figure out what she was feeling right now.

Father.

The single word expressed her turbulent emotions.

Only then she realized that her hands and feet were shaking. She realized that she stood on something; that she was crying before she knew it.

She retched uncontrollably. Ravia’s chest heaved up and down as her body staggered even if it was just within reach of someone.

After seeing the carpet on the floor, Ravia only realized that she had been gripping her upper body as if she was kicked in the stomach.

Her chest heaved up and down rapidly like someone who forgot how to breathe.

She looked up, thinking that there was a thunderbolt outside the window, but she forgot what she was going to see when she saw the bookshelf instead of the window.

All of her actions were incoherent, and her awareness was fading.

Ravia just couldn’t understand this situation.

To be precise, she refused to understand.

Usually, there would be two reasons that made it hard to understand this situation.

It either you really didn’t understand or you didn’t want to accept the truth.

Her conversation with Tidwell earlier and the information reported by the servant who rushed in—all meant the same thing.

It was even possible to infer the whole situation at hand.

However, Ravia thought nothing was ‘understandable.’

I don’t understand. I simply don’t understand.

I don’t know anything.

There was no doubt that she tried her best. She refused to let Tidwell go even when her life was at stake. She tried to correct what was wrong with all her might.

She never resented anyone.

Only she knew how much sorrow she had buried in her tattered heart.

Even when she faced Hamlet’s question, she tried to remain as humane as possible.

But what is this situation?

What am I trying so hard for?

All the time I devoted to saving everyone while dreading my impending death. My decisions and resolutions. My emotions. What was all of that for?

When she dropped her head, she heard her father’s voice. It was only an hour ago that she sat face to face with him.

His crumpled forehead and the face that seemed to hold back tears.

His worried tone and words that she refused to accept at that time.

-I…I was afraid to lose you, Ravia.