Chapter 105

Rette could never understand Ravia.

Maybe she was cynical to begin with? Or she had a tendency to laugh in the face of optimism?

Ravia said she needed Tidwell, and for that she would make herself collateral.

There was a lot she wanted to achieve through her death.

She wanted the spring user whose identity had not yet been revealed to find their happiness. And for Herod to not suffer because of his own power anymore. And for Rette to reach her goal through the winter user.

Why would she think of others when she herself hung by a thread?

Seriously, why?

Rette knew there was more to it.

“Why are you being so kind?”

It was a question that she couldn’t hold back regardless of her intention.

After realizing that her question sounded a bit judgmental, Rette had the urge to cover her mouth with hand.

She would, if she had the chance. But before Rette could take the action, Ravia spoke, tilting her head.

“I don’t understand your question. Why would people need a reason to be kind?”

“…But that isn’t obligatory, right?”

Why were you so selfless when there was no requirement for it?

Ravia parted her lips slightly, as if showing she had just processed what Rette meant.

But her answer didn’t come immediately.

Ravia leaned back in the chair with her fingers busily tapping the armrest as if her mind raced with thoughts.

After giving it some thought, she answered.

“Do you know the saying that altruism is selfish?”

She threw a stone at Rette. A very simple universal law.

Once again, in a form of question.

“This is how Leontine teaches etiquette. These empty formalities are all an act to earn respect for myself.”

The most basic manner is to respect the other person, but to go further than that implies that you made the other person to respect you.

If the other person spits on you, and you repay them with kindness, it will reward you with the mental vanity that you are a much bigger person between them.

It was the most selfish thing a person can do.

That was exactly what altruism was.

“So I’m doing this for myself. Maybe you can call it self-defense.”

She tapped the armrest again as her mind fell deep in thought again, and then said.

“My teacher told me this. When you get caught in the waves, don’t forget to breathe.”

I just want to live like that.

Ravia looked both exhausted and hopeful as she said that.

It was an oddity where two opposing expressions could coexist.

But there was nothing more fitting to express the calm waves reflected in those purple eyes.

The dim flicker in her eyes seemed to wash away at any moment. Rette realized that no words would be able to change her mind.

Maybe the future where she’ll lose Ravia is unavoidable, after all.

“…You have a great teacher.”