Chapter 14: Competition Time

As promised the competition has finally begun. 

~

Bethany's POV

Sophie held out her hand. I contemplated for a few seconds before shaking her hand and replying, "Deal."

"So, when can I actually meet him?" she asked eagerly. I sighed while propping my head against my hand. I knew this was going to be a mistake.

"I don't know," I said, already trying to put this off.

"Fine," she said annoyed, shrugging back in her seat.

I smiled, at least it shut her up. I pulled out of the parking lot and drove to Johnny's house. The awkward silence filled the car and once again, I let it sit there. I couldn't believe she was blackmailing me. It didn't surprise me but still.

We pulled into Johnny's driveway and got out. I saw Sophie eying Johnny's house, probably thinking it was much nicer and bigger than mine. Johnny's house was conveniently at the end of the street and practically had a private beach while my house was in the middle of suburbia and wasn't even on the water like Hannah's.

I grabbed my surfboard from the roof of the car and walked along the pathway leading up to Johnny's front door. I walked right in with Sophie trailing behind me and saw Johnny sitting on his couch eating chips from the bag. He saw us, guiltily putting the chips down, and brushed the crumbs off of his shirt.

"You could've given me some warning," Johnny said, turning off the television.

"Like what?" I asked.

"Knocking?"

"Since when do we ever knock?"

"Good point," he noted. "You could have shot me a text. It's been like two hours."

Jeez, we took a long time to eat.

"Sorry," Sophie and I said in unison. I cringed.

"I know you don't surf, so I was figuring you could just tan or something," I suggested to Sophie.

"Aren't we supposed to be 'hanging out' together?" she asked annoyed.

"Yeah, we are," I said with an icy tone. "I get to do what I want, you get to do what you want, all as one big, happy family."

"You're such a little brat sometimes," she muttered.

"Excuse me? Do you want me to tell our moms we hate each other?" I asked, my eyes narrowing as my face got closer to hers. She sighed, knowing that would only make things worse because then they would want us to talk about it and resolve our catfight in front of them. "That's what I thought."

It looked like we both had some stuff on each other, and I was so sick and tired of her attitude. I just wanted to dump her on the side of the road to her figure her own way back home.

"Let's go," I said brushing past Johnny and out the side door.

"Hi," I heard Johnny say to Sophie who just brushed past him.

I looked behind me and Johnny shrugged. Why did he have to make this moment of tension even more awkward?

We all walked out to the beach and the waves looked pretty good. I wanted to do anything besides talking to Sophie. I peeled off my clothes and ran to the water. When my feet hit the water, it felt nice and cool compared to the hot sun.

When I had paddled far enough out, I sat up on my board while I waited for Johnny.

"I actually hate her so much," I said with no emotion as I stared out at the open water.