Chapter 21: Let's Get Some Clarity

New school year. New cover. New update.

I really hope everyone who reads still likes the story! Thank you so much for the votes and thanks all who read!

Only about four more chapters left. The next one will have the final competition.

~

Hannah's POV

I couldn't believe I had lost and Miranda beat me. ANS was at my fingertips only to be smacked away by a bully. I felt so ashamed. I was our only hope of getting our spot back and I had blown it. I didn't want to see anyone and remain sad alone. My mind had been doing this for the last few hours since I had gotten home. I was just going over and over everything.

I wasn't sure how long I had been in my bed. The sky was gray instead of blue so I had been there for a while, but what did I care? I wasn't moving onto the next round and might as well have lived in my room forever. I also didn't want to step foot near the ocean. It had always been my friend and this time it was me who had let myself down out there today.

I was about to go back to sleep where I kept dreaming about the waves and surfing when I heard my door creak open. I glanced up quickly to see that it was Blake and pretended to be asleep. I heard him bring my swivel chair around the piles of clothes on the floor next to my bed and sit before saying, "I know you're awake."

"Blake, leave me alone," I said, trying to muster as much edge to my voice as I could.

"Not going to work, Hannah. Why are you so depressed?" Blake asked in confusion. "You made it to the finals. Dude, you're going to surf at the North Shore."

I had made it? I was sure I hadn't and Miranda had won after I let my emotions cloud over me while I was surfing. A spark of hope inside me lit up like a fire that I thought had burned out but there were still a few embers alive. Then I thought about how Ryan wasn't there today. Did that mean he wasn't going to watch me compete in the competition I had always dreamed of?

"It's time to fess up," Blake said in a brotherly tone. "What's really got you down? Was it because Ryan wasn't there?"

That's when I started ugly crying. I didn't know what was wrong with me. I did not cry, especially not in front of my older brother who would make fun of me for an eternity. I had been crying an awful lot this past couple of days. I guess that's what Ryan did, made me cry.

"I knew he was the problem," Blake said, sounding like he had just solved the aha moment in a mystery.

"H-How?" I stuttered through my tears.

"I may perpetually torture you with Spencer but I know you better than you think. I know how much he means to you and how much he likes you. I was just waiting for it to all unfold and I guess that was now," Blake said, sounding sincere.

It almost made me cry again at how thoughtful Blake was on the inside and how much he noticed when I thought he hadn't been looking at all. I hugged him in response, which he returned. I was not used to having compassionate brothers and I could get used to it.

"Now, will you get out of bed and do something like I don't know, train?" Blake said with his chin resting on my head.

I was about to disagree when Blake cut me off by snapping his fingers. I was confused if he was calling our dog or something but in came Spencer. I thought he was going to tickle me so I started to squirm away but he was too fast. He picked me up in his arms and started walking down the hall.

I kept kicking and screaming for him to put me down but he refused. So much for my sweet brothers I could get used to. I was too focused on getting out of Spencer's grasp that I hadn't noticed all of my friends standing in our family room until he plopped me down on the couch. My mouth dropped. There were all of them: Sam, Brody, Bethany, Alana, and Johnny. Blake and Spencer went to join them. I was almost happy to see Sam until I realized what was going on.