Old Man Wallace

ATHENA POV

My alarm blaring in my ear was the only thing keeping me from falling back asleep, momentarily forgetting about work and all the struggles that it entailed.

I groaned, stretching my arms over my head and straightening my legs until they shook. Everyone loves a good full body stretch. Finally, I turned off the insistent beeping and crawled out of bed. "Crap," I mumbled out loud to myself, remembering I had to wake up the demon before she missed the bus.

I walked to her room, rubbing my eyes as I did so. I opened my little sisters door and knelt down next to her bed.

"Hera, it's time to get up sweetheart," Her eyes flutter open and she does a full body stretch, just like the one I had done this morning. I smile.

"Get up and get dressed," I state as I walk back to her door. "You wouldn't want to miss the bus and not be able to sit next to Georgia." Georgia has been her best friend ever since we moved here. Her mom is a blessing, taking Hera over for a sleepover on days I have to work late.

My statement about Georgia seemed to work as I heard her closet open soon after I closed her bedroom door. I did the same, grabbing clothes out of my closet and heading to the bathroom. I left the door unlocked as it was the only one in our apartment and I knew Hera had to come in and brush her hair and teeth.

I turned the shower on and relished the feeling of warm water trailing down the valleys of my skin. The moment was soon ruined by an excited Hera slamming the door open. I opened my eyes and sighed.

After a bit of time had passed, Hera had gotten on the bus and I combed through my wet hair before putting it up in a claw clip. I slipped on a cream cashmere  sweater and a black leather pleated skirt. I grabbed my tote bag that contained my computer, a pink notebook, and a few pens, and headed out the door, locking it behind me.

It was autumn and the warm breeze was still stuck in the air, despite all the leaves beginning to fall. I let my thoughts drift, thinking about baking and macarons. I began to think about work, or more so how to keep the animosity between my boss and I at bay. I hated thinking about him, it always left a scowl on my face. It seemed like it was his time of the month every week of every month. I giggled at the thought of him actually having a period.

My mini fit of laughter was cut short as I realized I was outside of Wallace Enterprises. The walk seems to shorten when I'm not paying attention, I thought. Walking through the double doors, I smiled once more. Wallace was such an old person name, it didn't seem fitting for my so-called boss. I knew he had a real first name, of course, but it was funnier to imagine him as old man Wallace.

I glanced around at the business people rushing around as I made my way to the elevator, in no hurry. I had a penchant for being early, that way old man Wallace wouldn't have a reason to berate me about anything else.

I scanned my key card, giving me access to the top floor where mine and Mr. Wallace's offices were, along with a few others. The elevator dinged once I had reached the 16th floor. Before I stepped out, I took a deep breath to ground myself before I went into the pit of hell. Metaphorically, of course.

If I thought downstairs was busy, I was in a whole new realm with how busy the top floor was today. Stacks of paper lay haphazardly on desks and even on the floor if the desks ran out of room, workers hustled and bustled around like bee's working for their queen.

I grin, thinking of myself as the queen of them one day. Although I knew that was unattainable.

The dark woodsy scent filled my nostrils as I leisurely pushed open Mr. Wallace's door. I was careful not to make a sound as I hurried to my office, which was inside his, in hopes that maybe he wouldn't see me.

"Athena." A deep voice grumbled out. I cursed inside my head, I was wrong once again.

"Yes, Mr. Wallace?" I turned and smiled, hoping my smile wouldn't falter and betray me.

"Paper work. On your desk." Mr. Wallace forced out. He was a man of very few words, I had learned.

"Alright, thank you Mr. Wallace." I turn to leave.

"Pull your damn skirt down." He averts his gaze back to his computer.

I blush, sauntering out of view before I tugged it down, not wanting him to see that I had obeyed. He had fired someone before for dressing inappropriately before, maybe this was my first strike. I glance next to my desk only to see paper stacks higher than my waist on the floor. This was going to be a long day, I sigh.

‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊ ♡ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ·͙*̩̩͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩̥͙·̩̩̥͙*̩̩̥͙˚̩̥̩̥*̩̩͙‧͙ °̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥ ♡ ‧̍̊·̊‧̥°̩̥˚̩̩̥͙°̩̥‧̥·̊‧̍̊

869 words

hope you enjoyed!