Chapter 22

Y/n POV:
Once Ango and his men detonated the vault that they thought we were in, we quickly escaped when they went to examine the inside. We are now running through an alleyway after successfully escaping from the government bank.

"See that, Special Operations?!" Mushitaro shouts before placing his hands on his knees to rest, taking a moment to catch his breath.

"Are you okay?" Atsushi asks him.

"That was nothing. Just the classic vanishing act. What they saw was the moment Demon Snow closed the vault door. We were, in fact, hiding in an open vault closer to the exit," Mushitaro explains.

"And, in the moment of the attack, Kyouka-chan released Demon Snow and we escaped," Atsushi states.

"It's psychological trickery, taking advantage of the expectation that we wouldn't be hiding in an open vault. The smarter you are, the more likely you are to fall for it," Mushitaro says.

"I'm amazed that you came up with that idea under so much pressure," Atsushi says.

"Oh, no, I didn't come up with it. Someone taught me it a long time ago," Mushitaro explains.

"Who did?" Atsushi asks.

"A friend," I say.

Mushitaro stayed silent while Atsushi looked at me confused.

"Well then, we need to steal a car and run. First, we erase the evidence of having stolen a car using my ability. That way, the city security camera footage and stolen car police documents will vanish," Mushitaro says.

'Oh, it's almost time.'

"You sure are something else," Atsushi says.

"This sewer line will take us to a parking lot away from the guards," Kyouka says, squatting next to the sewer lid.

"I'll handle it," Atsushi says, activating his ability on his arm to remove the sewer lid. "I'll go in first and check—" he tries to say but he's cut off when a dart shoots him in the back of his neck, his body dropping to the floor.

As soon as I turn around I see Kyouka slicing a grenade, only for her to get shot with the same dart that shot Atsushi. I put up a small electric force field while standing in front of Mushitaro.

"Unacceptable. I can't have you thinking you can deceive me that easily," Ango says, slowly walking towards us.

"Impossible! How did you find us here?" Mushitaro asks him.

"Ango-san, please, listen. The Detective Agency is innocent. The real enemy is elsewhere. I trust you to understand. Believe me!" Atsushi pleads, shakily trying to get up.

"You're right. I understand," Ango says, dropping the gun that was in his hand. "My special ability allows me to extract memories residing in objects. I used this to determine your escape route," he says while taking out a stack of cash that we left behind, dropping it on the ground. "I used this ability to learn everything about the crime scene. Therefore, I can be certain the Detective Agency is guilty. You also stabbed Chief Taneda!"

"Ranpo-san said the government has a Gifted who can read memories. He also said that if we're captured, we're bound to be executed," Kyouka says.

"You would honestly beg a secret government organization to just believe you? The Agency's jokes have never been funny, to the very end," Ango says.

I released my ability and pushed everyone into the sewer while Ango fired three fake shots, later jumping down myself, making sure that I didn't land on anyone.

Ango looked down at us and made a 'shush' sign by bringing his index finger up to his mouth.

"Stay quiet," I say in a low whisper.