𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐈𝐈.

- • ꕥ • -

𝑤ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑖𝑠 𝑎 ℎ𝑢𝑚𝑎𝑛 𝑏𝑒𝑖𝑛𝑔, 𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑖𝑠 𝑎𝑛 𝑜𝑝𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑡𝑢𝑛𝑖𝑡𝑦 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑘𝑖𝑛𝑑𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑠
- 𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐬

- • ꕥ • -

"𝑰𝑺 𝒀𝑶𝑼𝑹 𝑭𝑨𝑻𝑯𝑬𝑹 around, Evangeline?" the headmaster at Evangeline's sixth school in seven years asked, trying to look into her rundown Chicago apartment. Evangeline had a feeling she was about to be expelled.

        Before the eleven-year-old could say anything, her seventeen-year-old brother Noah opened the door further, stepping beside her. "Our dad's not here right now, but I'm her brother. Is something wrong?" Noah asked, hand on the doorframe as he towered over his little half-sister.

        The headmaster, Mr. Scott sighed. "I really need to speak to a parent or a guardian." he tried to look into the apartment once more.

        Noah blocked his advances. "This is the best you're going to get. Is something wrong?" he repeated in a menacing voice.

        Mr. Scott unfolded a piece of paper. "I'm sorry, Evangeline. You've failed out of our academy." Evangeline took the paper, seeing that she had indeed failed all of her mid-year exams.

        "That's it? She's out?" Noah asked, taking the paper from Evangeline, reading her grades.

        "She's out. I'm sorry we couldn't make it work." Mr. Scott turned and left and Noah slammed the door shut, Evangeline recoiling at the noise.

        Noah sighed. "Go to your room, Eva. I'll start looking for another school." Evangeline didn't argue and scurried off to her tiny room she shared with Noah, hoping to avoid their father when he came home from the bar.

        But she didn't avoid him, and Evangeline gained a new scar from a beer bottle.

- • ꕥ • -

        "𝐇𝐄𝐘, 𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐋." 𝐋𝐔𝐊𝐄 smiled, finding Evangeline in the forest with a dove on her finger. Evangeline was never where she was supposed to be.

        Evangeline looked up from the snow white dove she held, opening her hand to let it fly away. "I couldn't resist. It's so nice out today." Evangeline was supposed to be training, but instead she snuck away to follow the doves.

        Luke gently held her jaw between his hands, thumbs running down her neck. "I know. I'll train with you." Luke kissed Evangeline's soft lips.

        She smiled into the kiss. "You're so much better than me with swords." Evangeline drew a finger down Luke's scar, his hands pushing her blonde locks away.

        "That's why I'm gonna help you." Luke pressed a kiss to Evangeline's temple, taking her by the hand.

        They walked together through the woods, back towards camp. Many sets of eyes always followed Luke and Evangeline. Stares of envy, of resentment, of annoyance. Luke had his glory, and Evangeline was working towards hers. Just one last victory at capture the flag, and maybe, Evangeline's mother would care enough to claim her. She didn't have high hopes, though.

        Annabeth walked through camp, passing the pair she looked to as older siblings. "The game's next week. I need your skills sharp, Evangeline." Annabeth ordered, looking up at the blonde.

        Evangeline chuckled. "Full name. Am I in trouble?" she teased the eleven-year-old daughter of Athena.

        "You will be if we lose." Annabeth threatened.

        "Annie, I promise I will not let us lose. You know I need a win." Evangeline arranged Annabeth's braids over her shoulders, wiping a speck of dirt from her face.

        Annabeth nodded and turned to Luke. "Don't distract her." she warned before she walked past the pair towards the lake.

         Evangeline smiled at Luke's face. "Since when does she like you more than me?" he gaped as Evangeline pulled him along the path once more.

        "Don't be jealous." she said with a small laugh, Luke's arm binding around her waist.

        "I don't get jealous." Luke denied, but both him and Evangeline knew that statement couldn't be more false. Luke was probably the most jealous person Evangeline had ever met. His intimidating stare pushed away every boy who laid their eyes on his girlfriend even before they were dating.

        Evangeline was a flirt, and she attracted the attention of everyone in camp daily. Luke had to work a little harder to make sure everyone knew who she was with. He didn't mind, because Luke would go to the ends of the Earth to fight for Evangeline.

        Luke had always been obsessed with Evangeline, he was just really good at hiding it. Once they got to the training pitch, Luke handed Evangeline a sword. "Don't go easy on me." she pulled her helmet over her head, blonde hair braided over her shoulders.

        "Yes, ma'am." Luke winked, putting his own helmet over his dark curls. He always said that to Evangeline and she always smiled the same every time.

- • ꕥ • -