𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈.

- • ꕥ • -

"𝑤ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑙𝑒𝑎𝑣𝑒 𝑏𝑒ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑑 𝑖𝑠 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑤ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑖𝑠
𝑒𝑛𝑔𝑟𝑎𝑣𝑒𝑑 𝑖𝑛 𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑛𝑒 𝑚𝑜𝑛𝑢𝑚𝑒𝑛𝑡𝑠, 𝑏𝑢𝑡 𝑤ℎ𝑎𝑡
𝑖𝑠 𝑤𝑜𝑣𝑒𝑛 𝑖𝑛𝑡𝑜 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑙𝑖𝑣𝑒𝑠 𝑜𝑓 𝑜𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑠"
— 𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐥𝐞𝐬

- • ꕥ • -

"𝑵𝑶𝑨𝑯! 𝑶𝑷𝑬𝑵 𝑻𝑯𝑬 door!" Arlo yelled, banging his fist on the apartment door because Evangeline had lost her key in the museum.

"Maybe he's not home. He's probably at work. Oh, no, what if my dad's home?" Evangeline ranted, practically bouncing off the dingy walls with stress. "If my dad's home, I don't know if we'll be able to stay here. And you're a goat? How is that possible? I mean, I think Noah told me about myths, but this can't be real. I'm going insane—"

"Shut up! Please, stop talking!" Arlo panicked, slamming at the door again.

He ran a hand through his hair and Evangeline saw little horns on his head. "You have horns? How did I never see that?" Evangeline gaped loudly.

Arlo slammed his forehead against the apartment door. "It's called the Mist. Demigods can't see it until they start to come into their abilities. You did today." his words were muffled as he begged Noah to answer the door. Arlo had already explained everything that happened at the museum and what a demigod was to Evangeline, though she still didn't understand.

"Why do we need Noah? We should keep him out of this if it's as dangerous as you said." Evangeline paced up and down the small hallway, hoping her neighbors didn't come and yell at them.

Before Arlo could answer, Noah pulled the apartment door open quickly, surprised at seeing Arlo and his baby sister. "Why aren't you two on the field trip? Eva, are you okay?" he noticed her flushed face and rapid confusion.

"She knows." Arlo said before Evangeline could come up with a response.

"What do you mean she knows?" Noah repeated in a soft voice with gritted her teeth.

Arlo sighed. "She knows." he said again, Evangeline's eyes darting between her brother and her friend like she was watching a tennis match.

Realization dawned upon her. "He knows?" she asked Arlo, who was becoming overwhelmed with stress.

"Everyone knows, okay? Noah's known for months, I'm only here because I have to protect you!" Arlo shouted, not realizing the way his words affected Evangeline.

"You were forced to come here?" she asked in a soft voice, the brightness from her eyes fading. "You didn't want to be my friend?" Arlo looked down, ashamed. Evangeline grew sad, knowing that her only friend wasn't really her friend.

"Get inside. We'll talk," Noah said quickly, pulling Arlo and Evangeline into the smelly apartment, making sure they weren't followed before he shut the door. "Eva, start packing a bag. We have to get out of here now." Noah and Arlo proceeded to explain practically everything to Evangeline as she packed.