𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐈𝐕.

- • ꕥ • -

𝑡ℎ𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑖𝑠 𝑜𝑛𝑙𝑦 𝑤𝑎𝑦 𝑡𝑜 ℎ𝑎𝑝𝑝𝑖𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑠 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑖𝑠 𝑡𝑜 𝑐𝑒𝑎𝑠𝑒 𝑤𝑜𝑟𝑟𝑦𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑎𝑏𝑜𝑢𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑖𝑛𝑔𝑠 𝑤ℎ𝑖𝑐ℎ 𝑎𝑟𝑒 𝑏𝑒𝑦𝑜𝑛𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑝𝑜𝑤𝑒𝑟 𝑜𝑓 𝑜𝑢𝑟 𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑙
— 𝐞𝐩𝐢𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐭𝐮𝐬

- • ꕥ • -

𝐀𝐍𝐍𝐀𝐁𝐄𝐓𝐇'𝐒 𝐏𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐄𝐍𝐒𝐄 𝐁𝐄𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐃 Evangeline was anything but discreet. Evangeline heard the young girl as soon as she entered Aphrodite's cabin. "What's up, Annie?" Evangeline placed her sword by her bed after sharpening the blade.

Annabeth pushed herself off of the wall. "You're going on a quest. When?" Evangeline wasn't surprised Annabeth knew of her talk with Chiron and Mr. D already.

Evangeline stood up. "I'm not going, and it's in six months." she walked around Annabeth and grabbed a quiver of arrows her brothers kept in the cabin. She was about to go practice with Luke in the woods.

"Why aren't you going? I thought you wanted to go on a quest?" Annabeth sat on Evangeline's bed, holding one of her sweatshirts.

"I did, but Aphrodite wants me to, so I'm not," she held a bow and framed Annabeth's face with one of her hands sweetly. "Don't worry about it, okay? You'll get your quest." Evangeline fixed Annabeth's hair.

The pair left Aphrodite's cabin after passing some of Evangeline's brothers, seperating in the center of camp. Evangeline brushed past Clarisse without a word and moved towards the forest to find Luke. He was shooting at a tree when Evangeline found him. Once Luke lowered his bow, Evangeline wrapped her arms around his body from behind. Luke instantly relaxed at her touch. "Nice to see you, too." Luke smiled.

He turned around and kissed her, tilting her head upwards. Evangeline held his sides, her bow falling to the ground. "I hate being in a different cabin than you. It's lonely." Luke's fingers twiddled with Evangeline's camp necklace.

        Luke chuckled. "I take it you've barely talked to any of your brothers?" he asked, Evangeline staring up into his eyes lovingly.

        She shook her head. "Maybe twice. It's weird." Evangeline shrugged, straightening Luke's orange camp shirt.

"First few weeks after being claimed are always the hardest," Luke pulled an arrow out of Evangeline's quiver. "You ready to train?" he notched her fallen bow with the arrow.

"Luke, I can do it myself. I'm good at archery." Evangeline unwound herself from her boyfriend and took the bow from him, Luke stepping back before she released the arrow and sunk it directly into the center of the tree.

Luke smiled, arms crossed over his chest. "Maybe you can teach me something."

- • ꕥ • -

𝑬𝑽𝑨𝑵𝑮𝑬𝑳𝑰𝑵𝑬 𝑩𝑼𝑹𝑰𝑬𝑫 𝑯𝑬𝑹𝑺𝑬𝑳𝑭 under the covers of her bed, hoping that Noah would forget he was taking her to her new school that morning. It was her eighth school, and she knew the bullies would be just as bad an hour outside of Chicago. Noah pushed their shared bedroom door open. "Eva, come on, get up. We have to eat breakfast in the car." Evangeline knew they didn't have a car, and those words caused her to reveal herself.

"Where'd we get a car?" she asked, sitting up and running a hand through her messy blonde hair.

Noah pulled her backpack out of the closet from where she tried to hide it. "Don't worry about it. Get dressed, and be quiet." Noah walked out of the room and shut the door silently.

Evangeline got dressed with a sigh, tying her hair into two dutch braids over her shoulders. She made her bed and pulled on her backpack, finding Noah scrounging for money in the kitchen. "Are you okay?" Evangeline asked lovingly, her young face lighting up the rundown apartment. She had always radiated care and compassion.

Noah put his finger to his lips. Their father was asleep in his room. "Let's get going, kiddo," he pushed some cash into Evangeline's hand. "Don't lose that, okay? It's for the bus fares home."

Evangeline followed Noah out to the car he had stolen to get her to school, climbing inside. They began the drive to Jameson Academy, an hour outside of downtown Chicago. "Are they nice at this school?" Evangeline asked meekly. She had had quite a few bad experiences with bullies at her past schools.

"It's a good school, Eva. It's the closest public school left." Noah drove down the highway, being mindful not to turn any heads of passerbys.

"So, don't mess it up?" Evangeline knew what Noah was saying without him even having to say it.

"Yeah. You have to follow the bus schedule on your way home, okay? You can't daydream and forget to get off. Be focused." Noah knew how easily his little sister's troubled mind wandered off and got her into issues.

        Evangeline nodded. "Promise." they endured a relatively quiet car ride to Jameson Academy. Evangeline didn't mention that she didn't have enough money to pay for lunch, and that there was barely any food in their apartment for her to make a lunch. Noah didn't need to know that, not after all he had done to get her into that school on the first place.

        So Evangeline tightened the ends of her braids and fixed her sweater, holding onto her backpack straps as she walked into the directed middle school building. She braced herself for the day ahead of her, for the stares and the bullies and the looks she would get. Evangeline knew she was weird, she didn't need to be reminded constantly.

- • ꕥ • -