𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐗.

- • ꕥ • -

"𝑡𝑖𝑚𝑒 𝑡𝑎𝑘𝑒𝑠 𝑎𝑤𝑎𝑦 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑔𝑟𝑖𝑒𝑓 𝑜𝑓 𝑚𝑒𝑛"
— 𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐬𝐦𝐮𝐬

- • ꕥ • -

"𝐄𝐕𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄, 𝐃𝐎 𝐘𝐎𝐔 have any idea where Luke is going next?" Chiron asked for what felt like the millionth time. Evangeline shook her head, wiping at her red eyes. She had sauntered back to camp moments earlier, and was immediately found by her brothers, Grover, Percy and Annabeth. She left them all in the center of camp and made her way to the Big House.

"No, I don't know anything else. Everything I know is what I've told you." Evangeline said quietly, running her fingers through her wavy blonde hair.

Mr. D sighed, leaning back in his chair. "What did he want? Why did he take you?" he questioned.

Evangeline looked up at the god. "He wanted me to go with him. I convinced him to bring me back, and that was it." she wasn't hiding anything, but she definitely was done talking about Luke.

Chiron gazed out at the scenery around camp. "Do you think he will hurt you or Percy, now or in the future?" the centaur asked carefully.

"No," Evangeline said with no hesitation. "I know he won't." she was confident that Luke was telling the truth about one thing, it was that he wouldn't ever hurt her.

Evangeline didn't go to Aphrodite's cabin when she left the Big House. She walked into Cabin XI, all of its residents instantly leaving once they saw her. Evangeline's eyes lingered on Chris as he left. She wondered if Chris knew what Luke had done, if he helped him do it. She didn't ponder the thought for long, and instead sat down on the edge of Luke's bed.

Evangeline went through his things, taking back things she had given him throughout their years together. On impulse, Evangeline folded one of his sweatshirts and tucked it under her arm to bring with her. Everything smelled like him, and Evangeline so desperately wished things hadn't ended this way. A few stray tears rolled down her cheeks as she clutched Luke's pillow under her nose.

The rest of his belongings weren't Evangeline's to take care of. She took what was hers, and did what she needed to do. Evangeline knew deep down that she needed to close her chapter with Luke. It was over, and it was done, and she needed to move on. That was easier said than done, but Evangeline had to start somewhere. She left Hermes' Cabin.

Her brothers didn't say much when she got back to their cabin. As Evangeline laid on her bed, holding Luke's sweatshirt, she started thinking about what Hades had said in the Underworld. He kept Noah because of a favor that needed the help of a daughter of Aphrodite. Meaning there was more than one daughter of Aphrodite. Which meant that Evangeline had been lied to yet again. By her mother, by Chiron and Mr. D, by her brothers.

Evangeline needed a break from camp. It was the end of the season, and many kids often went home to their mortal families over the summer. Evangeline had never left camp during that time because she had no family to go home to. But if Hades had upheld his end of the bargain, then Noah was free. Evangeline had to find him, just like Percy had to find Sally.

She needed to rest before any of that had happened. Annabeth came into the cabin later in the evening and seated herself on the edge of Evangeline's bed. She looked so much older and wiser than Evangeline remembered her being. Maybe the quest grew her maturity. Underneath her tough exterior, Annabeth was still the tiny little girl with warm brown eyes that Evangeline had met six years ago.

"I'm sorry." Annabeth said quietly, looking down at her hands.

Evangeline sat up and tucked Annabeth into her side, holding her head. "Don't be sorry. I wish you didn't have to see that." Evangeline said quietly, gently rubbing Annabeth's arm.

Annabeth melted entirely into Evangeline's hold. "I've been telling you for years, Eva. You can't ever trust anyone completely." that was the key difference between Annabeth and Evangeline. Annabeth was skeptical, and careful and mindful, and Evangeline was willing to love and trust anyone that came her way, if they appeared to care for her.

There wasn't a right or a wrong method with the two of them, but they both paid the price of their ways from time to time. "I know." Evangeline whispered into Annabeth's hair. She didn't understand Annabeth's thought process before, but she did now, and it hurt her so much.

- • ꕥ • -

"𝑾𝑨𝑻𝑪𝑯 𝑾𝑯𝑬𝑹𝑬 𝒀𝑶𝑼'𝑹𝑬 going." a girl with dark curly hair that Evangeline did not recognize sneered, pushing past her as she walked with Luke. It was still only her first day at camp, and Luke was about to settle her into his father's cabin.

Luke stepped in front of Evangeline as she rubbed at her shoulder. "Enough, Clarisse. It's her first day, what's your problem?" he looked down at Clarisse, glancing back to make sure Evangeline was all right.

Clarisse chuckled. "Heard Silena might have a new sister. Wanted to check her out." Evangeline had no idea who Silena was, but she was intrigued.

Evangeline looked up at Luke, his face full of confusion. "Who's Silena? What are you even talking about?" he questioned the girl. Clarisse smiled.

"Don't worry about it. See you around, lover girl." Clarisse winked at Evangeline and turned around to leave, some of her friends following her. Clarisse enjoyed that she had knowledge about the children of Aphrodite that no one else in camp had.

"Who is that?" Evangeline asked Luke once Clarisse had left, walking with him again towards Hermes' Cabin.

"That's Clarisse. She's one of Ares' daughters. Just ignore her and everything she says," Luke advised, offering Evangeline his hand to step into the cabin. "And this is Hermes' Cabin. You'll be here until your god parent claims you." many eyes of demigods landed on Evangeline and she instantly looked at the ground, feeling shy and uncomfortable.

Luke frowned and looked at all of his siblings and unclaimed demigods, his glare averting their curious gazes. Evangeline set herself up in an empty bunkbed, sitting with her backpack in her lap, fishing through it. She instantly brushed past the box she threw Noah's ring in, wishing she had the strength to get rid of the constant reminder of him. But he trusted her to take care of it, so she would.

Evangeline ended up meeting practically everybody in camp. She spent some time with Arlo's best friend, a satyr named Grover, and was shown Thalia's tree by little Annabeth. Luke took her to talk to Chiron and Mr. D, both camp leaders immensely intimidating Evangeline. It didn't take long for her to settle into her rhythm at camp, which was spend time with Luke practically all day every day. She liked him, and he liked her.

- • ꕥ • -