𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈𝐈.

- • ꕥ • -

"𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑖𝑠 𝑤ℎ𝑎𝑡𝑒𝑣𝑒𝑟 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑐𝑎𝑛 𝑏𝑒𝑡𝑟𝑎𝑦"
— 𝐦𝐢𝐥𝐥𝐞𝐫

- • ꕥ • -

𝐄𝐕𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐋𝐈𝐍𝐄 𝐇𝐄𝐋𝐃 𝐋𝐔𝐊𝐄'𝐒 hand tightly as they walked with Percy through the forest, away from camp. Evangeline should've taken Percy with her and ran away to Chiron and her brothers. They could've helped. At the very least, Evangeline should've made sure that Annabeth wasn't lurking in the shadows beneath her mother's hat. There were a lot of things Evangeline could've done differently, but she was blinded by the deep love she had for Luke, the love she would always have for Luke.

There were fireworks bursting through the night sky, all for Percy. "Talk about a celebration. They really pulled out all the stops for you." Luke said, holding a lantern in his spare hand. Percy chuckled lightly, but he said nothing.

"You okay?" Evangeline asked Percy tenderly, stray hairs falling from her long braid.

"Come on, you've said, like, two words since we left the cabins." Luke added.

Percy sighed quietly. "Just... thinking about what the Oracle said. That I'll fail to save what matters most in the end." they all stopped walking as the fireworks continued.

Luke and Evangeline turned to face Percy. "You're thinking about your mom. I get that. Believe me, I do," Luke placed the lantern down on a large rock. "But prophecies? Those things are so vague." he tried to brush off Percy's concern, holding Evangeline to his side. She suspected nothing. She never had, and she never would.

"The quest is over, and everything the Oracle said has either come true or makes sense." Percy shared a look with Evangeline.

Luke eyed Percy curiously. "Has it?" he questioned, his tone surprising Evangeline.

"'You shall go west and face the God who has turned.'" Percy recited the first part of the prophecy.

"Ares. Okay." Luke nodded, fingers trailing up and down Evangeline's arm.

"'Find what was stolen and see it returned.'" Evangeline spoke, reaching up to fix her beaded necklace.

"Clearly the bolt." Luke glanced down at his girlfriend, burying his thoughts deeper and deeper everytime her innocent blue eyes shone up at him.

Percy paused. "'And you shall be betrayed... by one who calls you a friend,'" he stared at Luke. Luke stared back at him. Evangeline said nothing, but she looked between the two, confused. "Well, the reason Clarisse is still here is because... you never said anything to Chiron about her. Did you?"

Evangeline didn't know what Percy was insinuating, but she didn't like it. "Percy what are you doing?" Evangeline interjected, rubbing Luke's hand with her thumb as she felt his grip on her lessening.

Percy ignored the blonde girl and didn't allow Luke the chance to speak. "You couldn't... because you knew Clarisse didn't steal the bolt. You did." Evangeline's eyes widened at Percy's words, her gaze traveling from his horrified face to Luke.

"Percy, there's no way he stole the bolt. This is crazy." Evangeline spoke in Luke's defense, her boyfriend's stoic face beginning to fade away.

"You worked with Ares to plant it on me so when the shoes you gave me pulled me down into Tartarus, the bolt would be delivered right to Kronos. But why did you give Eva a necklace to send her with me?" Percy spoke, connecting the dots together. Luke had stolen the bolt, but Evangeline was still on his side.