𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐗𝐗𝐗𝐕𝐈.

- • ꕥ • -

"𝑖𝑓 𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑑𝑜 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑒𝑥𝑝𝑒𝑐𝑡 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑢𝑛𝑒𝑥𝑝𝑒𝑐𝑡𝑒𝑑 𝑦𝑜𝑢
𝑤𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑓𝑖𝑛𝑑 𝑖𝑡, 𝑓𝑜𝑟 𝑖𝑡 𝑖𝑠 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑡𝑜 𝑏𝑒
𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑐ℎ𝑒𝑑 𝑏𝑦 𝑠𝑒𝑎𝑟𝑐ℎ 𝑜𝑟 𝑡𝑟𝑎𝑖𝑙"
𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐚𝐜𝐥𝐢𝐭𝐮𝐬

- • ꕥ • -

"𝑯𝑬𝒀. 𝑯𝑶𝑾 𝑨𝑹𝑬 you feeling?" the unknown boy with the curly hair and blue eyes spoke gingerly as he stepped into the room.

Evangeline stared at the boy, unsure of what to say. "I'm okay. Thanks for saving me." she said quietly, looking down at her hands gripping Arlo's.

The boy leant against the doorframe. "Anytime. I'm Luke. One of Arlo's friends." Luke tried not to let his eyes linger on Arlo's body for too long.

"Evangeline." the blonde girl spoke, reaching towards her only friend in the entire world, brushing away his curls. It killed her to see him in such pain, and Evangeline would do anything to fix him.

Luke frowned at Evangeline's demeanor, noticing her casted wrist and the bandage covering the right side of her face. "Are you sure you're feeling okay? You were hit really badly." he spoke gently, walking towards the bed Arlo laid on.

Evangeline refused eye contact with Luke. "You saw everything?" she asked, almost afraid that she had been seen so vulnerable.

"We knew Arlo was coming back around this time, and it was kinda hard to ignore all the screaming." Luke sat down opposite Evangeline slowly so as not to make her uncomfortable.

"Everyone saw?" Evangeline looked up at Luke, his warm blue eyes soft as they shined at her dull ones.

Luke shook his head. "No, not everyone. Just me and a couple demigods were out looking for Arlo when we found you guys. My friend Chris and I left the Mist before the camp directors could tell us not to so we could get to you and Arlo." he explained briefly.

Evangeline nodded lightly. "Is there an office, or something here?" she wiped at her nose, eyes trailing down to her scorched shirt and tattered jeans.

"Yeah, it's not a long walk from here. Do you want me to take you? Show you around?" Luke offered generously. He wanted to be the one to help Evangeline get used to camp, because she was alone and he knew what she was going through. Luke hoped to make Evangeline feel comfortable around him, and maybe become her friend. It wasn't that he thought she was beautiful, not at all. Luke felt himself drawn uncontrollably to Evangeline, and he didn't know why.

"Maybe later. I don't... I don't want to leave him when he's..." the blonde trailed off, looking away from Luke. She couldn't leave Arlo. She wouldn't leave Arlo.

Luke nodded. "Rain check. I'm gonna get out of your space. I'll see you later?" he offered.

"Yeah." Evangeline plastered a fake smile on her face that Luke saw right through, and he stood up and left, leaving Evangeline alone with a suffering Arlo.

She decided to remove her ruined clothes. Evangeline found a small bathroom and changed into a fresh pair of jeans she had squished into her backpack and the orange shirt that read 'Camp Half-Blood' across the front. It was just like the one she saw Luke wearing. Evangeline noted the necklace around his neck, a singular bead displayed on it. Her eyes found Noah's ring in the mirror.