Chapter Five: Rejection, New Student and Eyes?

At that moment the bell rang, but no one dared to move. Jake stood there awaiting Laura's answer. Everyone expected Laura's answer to be, 'Really? Yes, thank you so much,' but instead, Laura smiled wickedly and said, "No thanks, I don't accept invitations from muscle heads who think with their private southern region and not their brains." Everyone in the cafeteria waited anxiously to see what would happen next, was this their only hobby, watching the drama unfold amongst these seven unruly teenagers? Yes. Laura stood up gracefully, grabbed May and June's hands, and rushed out of the cafeteria. "Oh my god," June said. "What?" Laura asked. "Oh my god." May echoed. "What?" Laura asked again. "You did not just do that." June whisper-shouted. "What? I simply declined an invitation to a party." Laura mumbled rolling her eyes.

May banged her fist on the locker next to her and the violent action shocked Laura and June into silence. A dark shadow passed over May's white-as-a-sheet face as she began to speak. "Laura, you don't understand the seriousness of the situation. Jake Phillips eighteen years old, heir to the Phillips family company S.O.A.R or in full, Send Off Anything Rapidly, the largest delivery company in the world. You can order a cell phone from S.O.A.R and get it within minutes, not even more than ten." May yelled excitedly. Laura groaned. "Where exactly are you going with this?" She asked. May grabbed Laura's shoulders and shook her, "He could ruin you." She hissed. "Total annihilation. You could get suspended from Aquamarine High just because Jake finds you unfit for school here. Do you want to die or worse be expelled?" May shrieked. Laura and June stood there dumbfounded. After a moment of silence, Laura found the strength to speak. "First of all, even if he's the heir to S.O.A.R., that doesn't mean he has any power over me in school. I mean how could he possibly get me expelled?" she inquired a little anxiously. A shiver crawled down both Laura's and June's spines as May violently slammed both her fists against the locker. "Don't be so naive Laura, this guy can ruin you. He has ways, ways that are shady and completely unfathomable. Attend this party Laura either that or let that young man tarnish your reputation and future." Before Laura could reply, the final warning bell rang and Laura being the punctual princess was immediately rushed off to her next class.

She was completely unfazed by May's words but still found herself feeling a little hesitant about the decision she had made to decline Jake's invitation during the sixth period. The English teacher Miss Crest walked over to the side of Laura's desk and smiled at every one of her students she gently cleared her throat and began to address them "Students as you may or not have heard, we are expecting a new transfer student. They will undoubtedly be arriving any moment now so, please, try to restrain yourselves." She immediately glanced at Jake, "Do I make myself clear?" She asked. Everyone nodded their heads. Laura looked outside the window and got lost in the deep blue skies, she began to daydream about having a better family than the one she had. Whilst Laura daydreamed away the rest of the class and Miss Crest waited excitedly for the arrival of the new students. They did not have to wait that long because about thirty seconds later there came a gentle knock on the door. Miss Crest immediately told the person to enter, everyone held their breath, Hazel held onto her phone, recording every second of the new kid's arrival, Melissa was chewing gum and began to blow a bubble just as the door handle was turning, Laura who was still daydreaming was completely oblivious to the fact that a transfer student was entering the class at that exact moment. A tall dark-haired young man with big grey eyes and pale skin that enhanced his naturally pink lips stepped into the classroom. His eyes were cold, but his expression was soft and kind. Hazel's phone fell to the floor, Melissa's gum popped in her face and Laura, well obviously she continued to daydream.

Miss Crest smiled at the newcomer and asked if he would like to introduce himself. He smiled at her and nodded politely. "Good afternoon. My name is Levi King Topaz. I recently transferred here because of personal reasons. I am eighteen and I look forward to completing my high school level of education here and of course, making some new friends." His introduction was very vague, but everyone was dumbfounded nonetheless and the girls, except Laura, were captivated by his smooth melodious, and masculine voice. Miss Crest thanked him and asked if he needed any help making sure he was all caught up with his schoolwork and that he also knew every corner of the school. Levi smiled and said he was going to need some help getting to know the school but other than that he was good. Miss Crest faced the class and asked who would like to assist Levi. Every single girl in the classroom's hand shot up except, of course, for one and I think we all know whose hand that was.

Miss Crest scanned the crowd and let her eyes land on none other than Laura who was lost in the fluffy, white clouds. "Ah, yes, Laura Diamond, I think you would be perfect for the assignment, you are a remarkable student and very well-mannered." Miss Crest beamed, smiling and practically glowing. Levi scanned the room for Laura but could not quite decide which girl she may have been, Miss Crest noticed that Levi was not able to identify Laura and immediately requested that she stand up. Laura obliging did as she was asked, even though she was still completely uncertain as to why she was being told to do so. Miss Crest saw the confusion on Laura's face and smiled gently. "Laura, this is Levi King Topaz. I would like you to be his student guide, I'm sure he already has one, but I would much prefer that it be you." She explained. Levi who was staring curiously at Laura finally met her eyes, his cold light grey ones, astonished at the sight of nostalgic hazel ones. Something was different here. Something was wrong here because this eye contact felt too damn right. Something was happening. Laura felt her heart beating unnecessarily fast, and her already rosy cheeks began to deepen in color. She just stood there staring at the handsome stranger who was staring right back at her. Laura groaned to herself and tried to assure herself that her heart had always beat at such a fast pace she repeated her mantra over and over again, love is so cliche, love is so cliche... or is it?