Chapter 19

Life seemed better than Copper had ever imagined it could be. Every day, things went on very much the same. But it was a happy normal that he didn't mind reliving time and time again.

It didn't take him long to adjust to his new home. The fading elegance of the mansion stopped seeming eerie to him after a while, and he could deal with the dim lighting as long as he wasn't alone in it. His brothers made everything feel lively, his father made everything feel secure, and Bob's cheerful work kept everyone feeling happy and cared for.

Sometimes, when Copernicus thought about this amazing new life he was living, he could have burst with thanksgiving. He felt almost guilty for being lavished with such rich food and for keeping idle all day long. When he watched his brothers and father going to work, it struck him keenly that he owed Mordechai a great deal for his kindness. One early morning, after all the other hardworking children had gone to bed, Copper couldn't sleep as he thought about it. Had he thanked the man enough? Wasn't there something more he could do to show how grateful he was?

The other lads were snoring blissfully. But down the hall, Copper could hear motion every now and then and he knew that Mordechai was still awake. It seemed so miserable to lie in bed unable to sleep and with so many thoughts in his head.

Carefully, he pulled back his blankets and slipped noiselessly from the room. A gleam of morning light poured out from Mordechai's bedroom door, welcoming Copernicus to step away from the dimness of the hall. But even so, he felt a bit timid as he slowly approached the man's chamber.

When he came close to the door, which was open ajar, he listened to the noise of pacing footsteps and saw a fleeting glimpse of his guardian as the man passed the entrance. Mordechai walked restlessly to and fro for a little longer. Then he stopped and sank down onto an armchair, resting his face in his hands.

Copernicus's heart welled up with concern and pity. Poor Father, he thought. He looks dreadfully worried. I wonder what's wrong?

He had seen Mr. Hannover look that worried before. His old master had been fretting about money, foreseeing the helpless demise of his precious bakery. Could Mordechai be agonizing over the same sort of thing? Was he struggling to make ends meet and keep a roof over his children's heads? More than ever, Copper felt pressed to find a way of showing his appreciation. If he and his brothers were the cause of Mordechai's misery, he would work his hardest to lighten the burden. He felt toward Mordechai something he had never felt toward Mr. Hannover: devotion.

Plucking up a little courage, the boy tapped on the door. The sound caught Mr. Dross's attention.

"Who's there?" the man asked. The sound of fear rang in his voice as he jerked his head upright and gazed fixedly at the door. "Is anyone there?" he repeated nervously.

Copper peeped his head in. "Please, sir, I didn't mean to be a bother," he said quietly. "I wanted to see you because I can't sleep. But I'm afraid you wouldn't like to see me just now."

Relief washed over Mordechai's troubled face. "Wouldn't like to see you? Ah, lad!" the man laughed. "Why should you think that? Come to me, son."

The endearing tone and a welcoming motion banished the boy's fears. He gladly ran into his father's room and Mordechai pulled him down beside him in the spacious chair.

"You cannot sleep? Why?" the man asked caringly. "Are you unwell, child?"

"No, sir. But I was thinkin' an awful lot about you," Copper replied, nervously fumbling as he spoke. "I was thinkin' about how kind you've been to me and wishin' I could do somethin' to help you. Then I seen you lookin' so worried a second ago, and I thought you must be fearin' that we won't have enough now that I've come. I can work, Father!"