Chapter 46

"Brace yerself. We're goin' in!" Bob said.

Charlie didn't hear him. His eyes were fixed on a wild scene which made him cringe in dread. Even during a chilly drizzle, the place was teaming with people.

"I never did like circuses—never!" he stated. "Look at all those money swindling, cursing, rabblerousing, lying cheats! And people actually seem to enjoy being cheated! Oh well. Brace yourself, Bob. We are going in!"

Bob gave a good-humored smile. "Whatever ya says, Boss," he agreed, and off they went.

Passing a dozen vibrant vendors, Charlie glanced around at the cheap things they sold and the animated faces of the salesmen. It was all so dizzying and captivating that he started lagging behind. A confusing din of voices rang in his ears. Salesmen were shouting at him from all directions, trying to get him to come and buy their wares. Suddenly, a big hand grabbed his arm and he jumped in fright.

"I say, Boss, its 'ard t' keep up wiv you!" Bob said apologetically. "Almost lost ya in the crowd an' 'ad a bit of a panic o'er it! But just you lead on to that Gypsy caravan, an' ol' Bob'll be right ahind of ya."

Startled out of his wits, Charlie stammered for a moment. "Gypsy caravan!" he blurted at last. "That's right! On we go! It's...it's this way, if I'm not mistaken." He pointed in a full circle before he decided on the right direction. But Bob hadn't waited for his answer. Still holding onto the boy's arm, he was marching in the opposite direction of the one Charlie had pointed out. The lad had no option but to stumble after him. It was for the best. In a minute, Charlie recognized the distant trill of accordion music and saw a maroon-colored caravan up ahead.

"Ah! There it is now!" he exclaimed, as if he had known it all the time. "Just think, Bob! We are getting closer to finding a real criminal!" He jogged to put himself a little ahead of Bob so he didn't feel so much like a tag-along.

At the caravan, Everilda's jet black eyes lifted from her accordion, and her uneven smile shined upon the newcomers. From dealing with a large number of people day in and day out, she was well practiced in judging a person's purpose by the look in their eyes, and so she regarded them with confidence.

"Ah! Here you are at last, gentlemen. I have been expecting you!" she greeted strangely.

Charlie's eyes grew wide with nervous caution. "I...beg your pardon?" he gulped.

"You have come with a grave purpose, my friends. A grave purpose which requires all haste. But I can help you!" the young woman responded. "Avakdi, you must come inside, for I have something important to show you!"

Charlie's skin started crawling at her words. How did —she— know they were coming on grave, important business? At times like this, he thought nervously, I say we proceed with the utmost caution and do the wisest thing we can think of! So, he dropped back a few steps and let Bob take the lead, not because he thought Bob was clever, but because he felt protected behind the brute-sized fellow.

"We'll come in gladly, miss," Bob said, "but we come on our own business, if ya please. We needs a question answered and that's all."

"I can answer your question," the witch replied with a confident smile. Then she led the way into the caravan. "Take a seat," she hissed, batting her lashes to enchant while her hand softly clasped one of Bob's. "I will tell you your future and answer your questions."

"Thankee, miss. I've walked me legs off, an' a chair's just what I needs right now," the man said, settling his big frame carefully into the narrow seat and pulling Charlie down into one beside him. "But ya won't get nuffin' outta these palms, miss. Ya see, I'm a real 'ard worker, an' I've scrubbed all the lucky lines right out've 'em. Sorry. Who's this dimber cove?" He nodded to the dark complexioned, black eyed man who stood at the far side of the caravan.